1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Fairly new laptop suddenly died

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by techkuestions, Mar 31, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. techkuestions

techkuestions Thread Starter

was carrying my lenovo flex 4 in a laptop backpack from point a to point b in a sleep/hibernation state. Upon removing it to use again, the power wouldn't come on as well as the power button led wouldn't/won't lit up.

Did a hard reset, removing battery, pressing power button for 1 min etc, still dead.

I thought it might be the adapter which looked burnt by the two prongs, hence ordered a new oem adapter, still to no avail.

Geeksquad apparently charges a good $50 just for a diagnostic, hence I'd like to know if it's the motherboard or other component based on the symptoms and circumstances.

How can a motherboard die simply from carrying a laptop without dropping it or bumping into anything, which i didn't.

Otherwise, what would be a good diagnostics, that's cheap, including diy?

grateful for answers

2. techkuestions

This suks, bet no reply.. btw, i've also done a power drain (removed battery, charger, pressed n held power button etc). Not even a pointer?

3. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    do you have a voltmeter (multimeter) to check the output from the power adapter
    in sleep mode, some battery will still be used - so is it possible the battery is flat and the charger not working
    ??? can you post an image - perhaps a voltage surge

if the laptop will not switch on, its difficult to say what maybe faulty - possible the motherboard

electrical components do fail - doesnt need a bump to fail

when you switch on the laptop - nothing happens at all - no lights , no sounds , no change in the screen
    completely dead

4. techkuestions

Yea, it's completely dead, even with the new charger. Was hoping to rule out something more trivial before paying for a disgnosis, then, possibly only to be told it's the motherboard at which point getting a new laptop right away would've saved money.

5. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    some places may have a look for free
    I know a repair company in UK was prepared to do a quite check for free and give a quote for repair
    But you right if motherboard then its not economic to repair these days

6. techkuestions

Well, seems most go for $65-100 here; u'd think a check up would be free/close to free, as opposed to charging that much just to possibly be told a repair price that wouldn't beat buying a new one. Heck, can get a dental filling for that price, or dental x-rays which at least are concrete ;)

7. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    Well they do spend time looking into the problem, and most charge in UK, although a few do not.

I'm afraid leaves with a call to make, as to whether it maybe a very simple thing or an expensive repair - its difficult for us to diagnose when the system is , that it does not switch on

8. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Have you checked if your Lenovo Flex 4 is still under warranty ? I believe they were first sold around February 2017 so it could be.

9. techkuestions

I doubt it's under warranty. Got it refurbished on eBay with a warranty option, which somehow didn't go through with paypal. I honestly trusted refurbished quality, specially from an authorized reseller, as well as have good experience with lenovo.

I hear you on the costs, wish i could specify if i only wanted say the power jack diagnosed, rather than every part of the MB, but i digress.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1207801

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice