1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

fake Microsoft security patch virus emails

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by bobkupfer, Sep 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bobkupfer

bobkupfer Thread Starter

I have had a k-mart/bluelight email address and it has gotten the fake Microsoft latest patch install immediately and other variation emails in the past. Lately it has been getting multiple ones daily. My Juno is the same or worse, I got 7-10 at one time. I recognize them and don't get the virus, but they are 144-154kb a piece and they load up my box. Free Juno doesn't allow filtering to trash can just to junk and you have to give the actual email address and the addresses seem to be random strings of letters. Plus free Juno is only 2mb so it fills up quick.

Does anybody know how they get your addresses or how to get off the lists? Juno suggested I install a patch from Microsoft:

Cumulative Patch for Internet Explorer (822925)

Summary
    Who should read this bulletin: Customers using Microsoft® Internet Explorer.

Impact of vulnerability: Two new vulnerabilities, the most serious of which could enable an attacker to run arbitrary code on a userÂ’s system if the user either browsed to a hostile Web site or opened a specially crafted HTML-based email message.

Maximum Severity Rating: Critical

I'm just wondering if there's any way to get off these lists once you're on or if I should just change my email accounts. They don't get sent to hotmail and yahoo because they have automatic scanning of attachments and they won't let you open virus infected attachments.

I have Microsoft Windows ME and am using internet explorer 5.5, I had to update to service pack 2 to install the patch above from Microsoft that Juno suggested (which didn't do anything). I have AVG anti-virus which works in outlook express, but Juno doesn't allow using outlook express and I have zonealarm firewall.

thank you,
    Robert Kupferer

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

"Does anybody know how they get your addresses or how to get off the lists?"

Your e-mail address will have been "harvested" somewhere. If your address exists on other peoples PC, if you have used it on a website anywhere, then its available.

There are some that earn a living from running crawler programs which filter everything on any webpage and collect anything resembling an email address. They sell these to the spammers.

If you ever try and "unsubscribe" from a list you then confirm to the spammers that your address is valid, and its worth more.

The only pointer I have come up with as to why some people get a lot and some no spam, is that people who insist on emailing to a large group of recipients, and put all their addresses in the To: field seem to increase the chances of span to all those unfortunate enough to be in the list.

The correct way is to put all the names in Bcc:

However, once your email address is harvested, there is nothing you can easily do to stop the torrent of mail.

Using a program like Mailwasher to delete them from the server is about all you can do. Some ISPs are installing spam filters.

Patching OE is not going to fix your getting spam. Its a good idea to keep up to date with security patches but the problem does not reside with your PC.

3. bobkupfer

bobkupfer Thread Starter

thank you kiwiguy, this is all very interesting and informative. I went to the mailwasher site and it sounds very good. It is very interesting also.

thanks again,
    Bob Kufperer

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/167776

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice