1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Fake virus

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by mthumjdo, Sep 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mthumjdo

mthumjdo Thread Starter

How can I get rid of fake virus scan. Every once in a while I get it and the only way it goes away is when I shut the computer off for the day and reboot the next day
    mthumjdo

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Post a screen shot of it the next time it shows.

3. mthumjdo

mthumjdo Thread Starter

DavA,
    The problem with a screen shot is that the computer is totally frozen and I can’t capture it. I can only hand copy what is written on the window. Would that be enough? Don’t know when it will happen again.
    mthumjdo

4. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    Normally this happens when you get some emails and/or visit some sites.
    You should be able to "Ctrl-Alt-Delete" and Task Manager.
    There you should see the program that is displaying the message, and you can kill at that time.
    Then you just might want to restart and then do a scan using the likes of Malwarebytes, and clean off all that it fines that should be removed.

5. mthumjdo

mthumjdo Thread Starter

I will do that the next time it shows up. Do I press all three at one time?

6. DaveA

First Name:
    David
  7. texasbullet

texasbullet

First Name:
    Ramon
    I have seen this before in some of my friends computers. What I do is when the menu screen appears I have to go into "msconfig" and remove (uncheck) all unwanted programs and then if time permits I go into the add/remove program and delete said program(s) and restart my computer. It will be kind of tricky since the popup may appear quicker but just restart computer and continue with add/remove program until successfully removed. If you can't remove it you will need to use revouninstaller (use the free version) to complete this task.

8. mthumjdo

mthumjdo Thread Starter

texasbullet, I'll try that if what DAveA told me doesn't work. Thanks for info
    mthumjdo

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!