1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Fallout New Vegas, Unusual Issue. PLZ help...

Discussion in 'Games' started by Godharbinger777, Jan 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Godharbinger777

Godharbinger777 Thread Starter

I have an alienware laptop with a dual core intel extreme 9000 cpu 2.80 GHz. Nvidia 8800m gtx graphics card. 4 gigs of ram with windows vista 32 bit op system. It default set my conditions to high graphics setting on the games opening. It runs well for a bit then randomly lags or stutters for maby a few mins. It never freezes just frameskips out the end. Usually after just a bit, it runs smoothly for a few and then repeats process. I have tried the Stutter fix in the NVSE mod, to no avail. Maby its my graphics card temp, because it seems to be running in the 80s celcius in game. i dont know im stumped. I really dont want to get a new rig just to play this game well lol. The lag bursts are just way to annoyng...If anyone has a clue as to how to fix it, if i can, it would be amazing. I have also tried turning off AA, and AF. Didnt do anything lol. I have attached my DX diag for those that it may help solve my problem. I have tried for hours to fix this... uhhg

Attached Files:

2. Megabite

Megabite

Have you considered running at a slight lower game setting as a test

3. Megabite

Megabite

I would guess it might be a heat issue as you say the Video card is running very warm and Laptops find it hard to dissipate heat.

You could try a laptop cooler

4. Godharbinger777

Yeah, I have. Its just, it plays so smoothly for such a long time and I can't seem to notice a factor in game that causes the lag burst. You know like, being around to many npcs or just being in a battle. There was one time that it was pretty bad when there was an interaction between 2 npcs that it lagged pretty badly. I'll will give the dumming down a shot, but it just doesn't seem like that would be the cause.

5. Godharbinger777

I also, am using a small laptop cooler that i purchased i while back. It doesn't seem to help very well though. But, earlier this year I ran Sc2 pretty decently on medium stats and I would think it would be much more graphic and processor intensive...

6. Megabite

Megabite

Try the lower settings.....also could be something running in the background...so try to shutdown anything you don't need

What is the exact temp of the video card when idle

7. Godharbinger777

I'll, give it a try. Any idea, if it's a background running issue, what app would run in such a way as to cause random stutter sprees?

8. Megabite

Megabite

Hard to say.....but the games runs OK at first ...is that correct?

9. Godharbinger777

Also, do you think turning vsinc off would help anything?

10. Megabite

Megabite

If the game runs OK for awhile then slows ...points to a heat issue possibily

11. Godharbinger777

Uhhg, that's what I feared. I just used a framerate counter in game. It took like just a few mins. Like 10 mins max. Frames dropped from around 30 through 40. To 4 and 5... After a bit, back up to around 30s or 40s.

12. Megabite

Megabite

You should take the video temps on Idle and then play the game, when the game starts to skip take another temp reading

If we can rule out the heat issue then we can look for something else.

13. Godharbinger777

K, I'll take the temps sometime in the next couple of days. I tried on a lower setting, and it seemed to be working. After a bit, i hit a small scene where 2 npcs conversed. It lagged quite badly. I reloaded to retry the spot and it didn't lag the second time around. It seems my graphic card, whether it is caused by the game or the graphics card, my framerates cut in half for a period of time and then catches back up. It honestly sounds like it may be a card issue. Maby to much ware over time... I duno. Kinda saddens me. I'm gonna test some more, but I'm Gina start saving some money so I can build my own desktop. Lol :)

14. Megabite

Megabite

Have you gone to the Manufactures site to see if there are any update drivers for your Video card...the driver you have now is dated 2009...and your sound driver is dated 2007......I would suspect there is a new driver for at-least your sound card which may help.

15. Godharbinger777

Well, Alienware sucked it up when it came to updated drivers. They basically had one update and then it stayed that way. So their latest update is like 2007. For my graphics card anyway. I then went to nvidias site and tried to get the latest update and usually it comes out with my updated driver not working making my graphics card useless. I found that 2009 update and it surprised me. I expected it to fail as well, but it worked when I installed it. It didn't improve anything though. The sound card I haven't tried to update yet, so hopefully it goes better.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!