false CPU fan failure

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

vixenkitten

For some reason, recently every time I boot my computer I get an error message before Windows boots saying that my CPU fan has failed and that the computer will turn off in a few seconds if I don't press the F2 key. What's really odd about this is that my CPU fan is working just fine... anyone know how I can fix this?

Hi Vixen :) This is probably spyware or a virus. Run AdAware (update first) and also update your anti-virus and run it too ;)

vixenkitten

Umm... I'm pretty sure it's not, I just ran Ad Aware and my anti virus yesterday, and I always update them before I do a scan... this has been going on for about 1 to 2 weeks now. I even used Hijack This to make sure there wasn't anything they were missing.

I don't think that's a Windows error, so it had to come from a separate source. Are you running Win ME?

Also, you can run Spybot too. Often times one spyware program will miss what the other doesn't, and vice versa ;)

Triple6

Rob
It might be that the sensor in the fan is malfunctioning. If the fan has recently been added or hardwares in the computer changed recently then make sure that the CPU fan is connected to the right fan header on the motherboard. It should be connected to the one labelled CPU. You can also, possibly, enter the BIOS setup and disable the CPU fan monitor under health or Power options.

vixenkitten

I found out where the settings were in my BIOS for the boot up fan check and turned it off.

Thanks. :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online