1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

False Hits on Virus and Malware detection software

Discussion in 'General Security' started by strouprob, Jan 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. strouprob

strouprob Guest Thread Starter

I just want to hear others thoughts on this subject. I have read a couple of articles that state the possibility of Anti Virus software providing and cleaning viruses that were never there just to appear to be doing its job. I personally think that is a stretch. I mean what development company has time to provide for this kinda functionality?

Anyway, What do you think??

2. pfurball

pfurball

Hi strouprob
    I have often wondered that question myself!! I recently changed security suites, (I was offered a free version by my ISP) and regularly update all my antispyware/antivirus programmes so as to keep my computer clean, don't willingly visit nasty sites or download from unknown sources and run the occasional online scan and my previous security suite said my computer was clean and free from any nasties. The first thing the new security suite produced was a trojan downloader and a win32 virus that it had detected and that I had to delete.I ran a quick HiJackThis and it said my system was clean as did all the other programmes I run to protect my stuff.Makes you wonder....
    Regards Paula :S

3. strouprob

Your story makes a good argument. I have never had the chance to test this theory out. Thanks for the reply.

4. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hi

Just about every legitimate, decent, or however you describe the top respected security softwares.....produce false positives to some degree.

The more thoroughly they sniff the system the more of the false detections there may be- for example, heuristic scanning (which can be toggled in some antivirus apps) will produce these, for common parts of third party software.

Many of the malware tools we use here and at other forums, act in a way that triggers security detection> but that are safe and not doing harm. For example, Scripting alerts by Norton and other AV/s--- it depends on just what is going on whether this is a bad, or "good" alert and the user has to know how to respond to them.

If you go to any of the top antivirus company forums where users and techs from these companies toss ideas around, you will see tons of questions, help, etc with false positives.

Not to mention, the unintentional incorrect detections that do come up rarely- for example,just a few weeks ago, Kaspersky detected Windows Explorer as a "baddie" and if the user had it set this way>>quarantined explorer! For some unlucky ones, that file was deleted.

NO legitimate security program produces "stretched" detections- but there are plenty of low quality, copycat, and outright fraudulent programs found. These we call "Rogues" and there is a whole place devoted to them:

http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm

5. strouprob

Byteman,

Thanks for the infor

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!