Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fan contact damaged during applying paste on motherboard???

1K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Themevictory 
#1 ·
Hello there and Marry Christmas,

How are you doing today Dear Friends???

I have somehow damaged GPU fan contacting white plug (with 4 colors cables pins inside) on the laptop motherboard.

Fan cable got damaged during applying cpu+gpu thm.paste fan contact-point got damaged on motherboard???

I understood very later that I should replaced GPU fan which I did later CPU fan stooped working too. I ordered 2 fans. Yesterday they arrived and I placed them in place and connected but sadly GPU fan does not work. Probably contact point on motherboard got damaged.

Can you please tell me that is there a possible way to fix this point without having to replace whole motherboard???

Could it be covered by MSI guarantee???

My MSI Laptop is with i9 10the generation.
GE66 Raider 10SFS-040NE-SG91098K16GXXDX10MAK2006N0016295

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Build 19043, Installed 20211005020539.000000+120
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10980HK CPU @ 2.40GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 165 Stepping 2, CPU Count: 16
Total Physical RAM: 64 GB
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super
Hard Drives: C: 7451 GB (6012 GB Free); D: 7452 GB (1059 GB Free);
Motherboard: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. MS-1541, ver REV:1.0, s/n BSS-0123456789
System: American Megatrends Inc., ver MSI_NB - 1072009, s/n 9S7154114040ZK6000035
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled

Thanks for your help,

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Hi,
Thanks for posting an answer.
Unfortunately there are no viewable damages on connector so it looks as good as new but it wont let fan work. I can post some pictures from net, but there is no difference. Thanks

Please view picture named 3 for problematic fan view.
Thanks

Attachments

#4 ·
I think that laptop is at the outside 18months old and possibly newer
So why would you be thinking it was necessary to replace the CPU and GPU thermal paste
I very much doubt it could have been.

Fan cable got damaged during applying cpu+gpu thm.paste fan contact-point got damaged on motherboard???

I understood very later that I should replaced GPU fan which I did later CPU fan stooped working too. I ordered 2 fans. Yesterday they arrived and I placed them in place and connected but sadly GPU fan does not work. Probably contact point on motherboard got damaged.

Can you please tell me that is there a possible way to fix this point without having to replace whole motherboard???

Could it be covered by MSI guarantee???
In respect of could it be covered by the MSI guarantee and presumiong you mean the damage to the conector - the answer is a definite NO.

In regard to the underlined text
To replace connector without replacing system board - I am surew there is, but it would of course require the disconnection of the dmaged connector and the replacement of the new one. Usually fan headers if that is what is damaged are rather standard, but finding one for the board and MORE importantly fitting it - presumably desoler and solder areUNLESS you are skilled in this job, a further step towards disaster.

On a laptop of that cost I suggest you cut your losses and consult an expert - you need to choose very carefuly who you trust with the job.

YES it will certainly cost you - but it MAY save the laptop becoming little more than spares value.

I know this will NOT be the answer you want, but I am of the definiote opinion that it is the best advice.

#6 ·
Good morning Mr. Macboatmaster & Couriant / Mr. James,

Mr. James. Could you please be specify what program are you referring to, in-order to detect GPU fan???

@ Macboatmaster

I agree with you but I may need further advice from you. if this is OK with you???

This machine is called MSI GE66 10SFS-40NE Laptop with i9-10900HK processor.

It costed me new over 2000 Euro.

But machine became heat up after regular usage of a few months and started to shutdown to protect CPU from overheating /Burning. Therefore I had to apply thermal-paste causing accidentally damaging the fan connector.

I have an idea. MSI support has asked me to send machine to their service repairing department (Not only for MSI only) called Info-care.

I can request Info-care to do a diastolic analyzes of machine. If they asked me to replace motherboard, I'll ask them how much a new MB will coast me. If it is equivalent to a new machine then I ask them to charge only for opening machine and analyzes without changing the Motherboard.

I can use a fan board /Heat absorber with laptop for next 2 years and then replace motherboard when I have funds available???

Do you like the thought????

Please keep me updated with your answers and advises.

Thanks
Best regards,
Victor Lee

#8 ·
I am not familiar with MSI but I would assume they have some software, or even in the BIOS/before Boot to Windows to test the hardware.

But machine became heat up after regular usage of a few months and started to shutdown to protect CPU from overheating /Burning. Therefore I had to apply thermal-paste causing accidentally damaging the fan connector.
If this is a new machine and started to act like this, then you should have contacted MSI to get repaired under warranty.

that being said, from a technical standpoint since you have used a 2nd one and have the same issue, it's possible that you have created a short somewhere. Check the whole board back to front for anything like excess paste and try to remove it. If you don't find anything, then more than likely you will need to replace the motherboard.

Please note, this is a site that is run by volunteers as well as the members. We are not always on here 7 days a week so please allow some time to respond :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.