Fan/Disk issue

ElcestrusYT

I've started hearing some rather interesting but annoying noises from my PC for the last few weeks. Sometimes when I start my PC - either immediately or within 10 minutes or so - one of the fans on my PC suddenly becomes incredibly loud (sounds like the fastest it could possibly go). This is sometimes preceded by what sounds like either a disk scratching. This awfully loud fan noise will then continue either on and off, or just full on for between 1-10 minutes. It does eventually calm down and if I shut down the PC it stops, only for it to immediately continue once I restart the PC. Bear in mind this happens from start-up a lot, so I can't explain it as me running an intensive program or game. Sometimes on start-up, it never happens at all. I've cleaned the PC to free it of dust quite a few times only for it to continue to make the noise after.
I've even tried manually controlling the fan speed in the SpeedFan program but it doesn't seem to even recognise that I'm changing any values - but if the noise is from a component that can't be controlled by SpeedFan, this might explain that.
Any ideas what component could be doing this, and why there is sometimes a disk scratching noise? Anyone experienced anything similar? I'm worried that because of the disk noise, it could be the Hard Drive but i'm not sure if this would make the fans go crazy

Oddba11

Jim
You are going to need to open the case and try to figure it out.

Sometimes you can tell simply by looking, otherwise you may have to touch or stop the fans one at a time to figure it out. If there are multiple case fans, for example, you could simply disconnect them before powering on.

crjdriver

I've even tried manually controlling the fan speed in the SpeedFan
Speedfan was a decent program in it's day however that day has long past. Just about all motherboard mfg ie asus, gigabyte, asrock, etc have a monitoring program which can also control fan speeds OR you can control fan speed from the bios. Both of these options are far superior to speedfan.
Next Jim is correct; you need to figure out which fan is causing the problem. Get a long screwdriver or thin dowel. Open the case and pw ON. Hold one end up to your ear and touch the other end to each fan. Do not hit the blades; just hold the end on the base of the fan. You can tell in seconds which fan is making the noise. Sometimes you can even feel it in your hand prior to holding it against your ear.

ElcestrusYT

So turns out the fan making all the noise was actually from my Graphics Card! I have a EVGA RTX 2070. One of the fans is going absolutely crazy and I'm not sure why. I checked and there's no dust on it. It's acting like my PC is really hot and is trying to cool it down, but this often happens on startup so I know that can't be the case. When it does go wild, the other fan isn't spinning at all but again there's no dust or blockage to explain it. I'm going to have a look in the EVGA panel but failing that, does anyone have any ideas?

crjdriver

EVGA cards come with a 3yr warranty. How long have you had this card?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online