1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Fan got louder

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by X_Gamer7, Mar 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. X_Gamer7

X_Gamer7 Thread Starter

Hello,
    The fan for my computer case all of a sudden got louder. It isn't a constant loudness, but more of a dun dun dun dun dun dun. Does anyone know what could have caused this? I guess its not too bad, because if worst comes to worst, I have 3 new, brighter fans coming in the mail soon, so I could replace it with one of them. I just dont want to have to throw it out, it's a nice looking fan.

-X_Gamer7

2. barfly

barfly

is it dirty or loose or is a cable fouling?

3. X_Gamer7

X_Gamer7 Thread Starter

no, it doesnt seem to be loose or dirty.....I have a lot of dust in my house due to the hardwood floors, but that couldnt be the problem. Actually, I just tried switching the 2 fans around so that the one is sucking air in and the other (that was being loud) is blowing out. It's not even close to as loud now, but the idle temp of my heatsink rose from 79F to 86F. Ill try tinkering with it some more and see what I can do.

I guess it wouldnt be that big of a deal if 86 degrees farenheit is normal idle temp, because I'm not overclocking anytime soon. Do you know what would be normal, and if that temp is normal?

4. barfly

barfly

just be careful that the exhaust fan blows out and the inlet in,the flow is very important.

5. Z80

Z80

I have been there, if you have a sticker on the center of the fan it can be peeled back exposing the fan shaft. One drop of 3 in 1 oil on there will quiet the fan. Wipe off any excess oil and replace the sticker. If the old sticker don't work replace with any round sticker. It is there to keep dust out.

I also read on a webpage where a fella put toggle switches on all his fans to run in "stealth mode" when the room was cool enough. I wouldn't do this myself but it makes sense when you think about how the new automotive cooling systems work. Just cool the computer when it needs cooling.

6. X_Gamer7

X_Gamer7 Thread Starter

hey thanx! sounds like a good idea. I dont think there is very much if any oil in the shafts when it is sent stock anyway, so I'll give it a try, and I'll tell you how it goes.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/215465

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice