Fan is not coming on...system shutting down, blue screen, physical memory dump

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

spmartin222

Is there anyone who can help me with this? My system keeps doing a physical memory dump, blue screen, only there for a couple seconds and the system shuts down and reboots immediately. The only thing I have done differently is install a new RAM 256 from Crucial, my fan does not seem to be coming on now. Is there something else I can do?

Disable reboot on error, you should get a blue screen error instead with some clue as to reason.

Is this a desktop or laptop?

Control Panel - System - Advanced - Startup and Recovery/Settings - untick "automatically restart" - OK

Sounds like you don't even have time for that if it is shutting down if a few seconds.

If the only thing that was done was to add memory, you might try taking it out.

Which fan is not coming on, power supply, CPU or other. There are motherboards that will shutdown if they sense that the cooling is not working properly. This is to protect components from overheating. Might want to get that taken care of first. Either one shouldn't be that expensive.

spmartin222

I'm not sure which fan isn't working, I just know that usually one comes on for a little while because you hear it, now it isn't coming on.

I thought I had the problem fixed because it hadn't done the blue screen physical memory dump thing since last night, but alas, I was wrong, it just did it again.

I was trying to look over some of the other suggestions on this site, I did a flash bios, and I ran a spyware checker... would a hijack log be of any use?

Is there anything else I can do to force this fan to come on? It seems that when the system shuts down, the compartment where the memory is gets hot. But I'm not sure if that is even the problem because it reboots itself immediately, certainly not enough time for it to cool down, and the fan isn't coming on at shutdown or reboot.

Thanks,
Susan

Although there can be more, generally there are at least two fans, the power supply and the CPU.

The power supply fan you can see by simply looking in the back of the power supply. Look when it's off so you can see it not spinning and then turn the computer on. You can also hear it.

The CPU fan you typically need to remove the side of the case and look at it.

spmartin222

The fan on the back that you can see is not turning, even with the laptop plugged in. I don't know about the other one but I know I can't hear it running. One of the fans was loud enough to hear before because it was pretty annoying when it would go on and off at night when everything was quiet.

Now knowing it is a laptop changes things just a bit. Obviously you can't remove the side of the case to look at the CPU fan. That would be more for a desktop model.

From your description now, at least two fans do not seem to be spinning. Pretty sure you are going to get that fixed before you are going to have a very stable computer. Good ones will shutdown when they sense that the fans are not working. This way the CPU and other components are protected from over-heating.

Laptop fans generally run immediately on power-up, for a short time.

Therefore I think its time for service for this PC, as there is little you can do without opening it up.

I suspected it may have been a laptop, hence I asked in Post #2, but we never got confirmation until much later. As above that changes (limits) anything that you might have been able to do and makes a lot of good interim advice less than useful.

spmartin222

Is this anything I can attempt to fix myself or would one of those cooling pads that you sit the laptop on be of any use? I have had it apart several times, that isn't a big problem, and would really like to be able to fix it myself if possible.
Thanks!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online