1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Fan keeps going faster and louder than normal

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Azzy, Dec 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Azzy

Azzy Thread Starter

For what seems like a few months now, I've noticed my laptop's fan seems to be a lot louder (and thus faster?) than normal.

You know how a fan seems to have "stages" in which it spins faster and louder depending on what it's doing? E.g. at computer bootup or when loading a CD, it will be fast and loud for a while. Every now and then if your computer's doing more than normal, the fan might spin more to compensate for it.

But I've been having a problem in recent times where the fan spins faster and louder than normal when doing basic tasks. Currently, I only have Firefox and BitLord open. Other times, I might only have Firefox on its own open. And instead of being its normal quiet self, the fan is louder than it should be.

I've also been having a few cases where my CPU usage will be at 100% when I only have Firefox open, and noticed that Firefox's memory in the processes tab of the task manager was way above 200,000 K. At that time, my fan was spinning like crazy and the laptop was heating up really bad underneath.

I've included a Speed Fan test below, if that is any help.

If you need any more info, please let me know. Many thanks.

[​IMG]

2. fenderjaguar

fenderjaguar

If your CPU is working at full load, then it will heat up and the fan automatically speeds up to cool it down. At 70 degrees plus (celsius, I take it?), well, that's pretty hot, especially for a core2 processor.

If the CPU is maxed out, when you're not running any apps that should push it, then you could have a virus or something

3. Azzy

Azzy Thread Starter

See, I was told it could be a virus. I ran Ad-Aware and Spybot Search and Destroy yet it didn't find anything. That's what's confusing me.

The fan isn't too bad right now. But I have normal applications open - Firefox, BitLord. Other days when I have even just Firefox open, the laptop will heat up and the fan will go faster to cool it down. It just seems so random.

I'm going to do another virus scan anyway, just to be sure.

Thanks for the reply.

4. fenderjaguar

fenderjaguar

I suppose the heatsink could be gunged up with dust or something, but it shouldn't do that, especially on a laptop

5. Azzy

Azzy Thread Starter

Hmm, not sure. I've always wondered about whether dust was in here. But I recently sent it off to get it fixed after the RAM died (when I got it back they said they'd fitted new RAM). So I would like to think they got any dust out when they fitted the RAM.

6. fenderjaguar

fenderjaguar

Lol, maybe they stuffed a rubber chicken in there :)

7. Azzy

Azzy Thread Starter

Wouldn't surprise me if they did D:

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/778983

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice