Fan kicks on a lot. Possible Bios update needed?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Kevin1975

I have a new Lenovo ThinkCentre E73 SFF i5-4460S, 16GB RAM, 240GB Solid State Drive, Win7 Pro 64 Desktop. Anytime the ambient temperature is 77F/25C or above, my fan cycles every few minutes. As it is spring time here, temps are only going to get hotter and the fan is annoying. My old Lenovo PC which did not have a solid state sat in the same place as the new one was silent except when I first started it up.

I don't think it's a dirty fan, heat sink or intake as the PC just over a month out of the box. Some research yielded a bios update; yet a lot of people say unless you absolutely have to, don't touch the bios; messing it up will brick the PC.

I've also have some Bluetooth issues which can be found here. Also, unless I have a USB keyboard plugged in, I stall for about 30 seconds at the bios screen. It's a hunch but I think all this is connected to maybe needing an update. I checked my bios date; 04/13/12. Lenovo's website reveals an update 12/29/15 and can be found here.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4460S CPU @ 2.90GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 60 Stepping 3
Processor Count: 4
RAM: 16296 Mb
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600, 1024 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 222685 MB, Free - 148982 MB;
Motherboard: LENOVO,
Antivirus: Trend Micro Maximum Security, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
As you say it is only just over a month since you bought it
I have a new Lenovo ThinkCentre E73 SFF i5-4460S
My advice is to return it.
Such problems have existed on this family of Lenovo`s for some years and not by any means has the BIOS flash solved the problem for all.
Also the CPU was only launched in February 2014
Although as you say the latest BIOS/UEFI is
FCKT77A
‎30‎/‎12‎/‎2015

The problem was first addressed in BIOS updates before that and I cannot understand how the computer can be supplied just a month ago with a firmware version that according to you is 2012 when the CPU was as I said only launched 2014.
I suggest you put that question to the supplier.
I am not suggesting that the latest firmware flash should have been made before the computer was sold, but clearly it was manufactured sometime after Feb 2014 so IMHO the firmware version should have been the latest then available, as Lenovo knew about the problem with the fan and usb function.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online