1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Fan Loud on Video Card - Manual Fan Speed Doesn't work

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 123pop, Oct 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 123pop

123pop Thread Starter

Video Card - ASUS 9800gt Ultimate It's a dual slot video card with a better cooling system. Link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121266 The cooling system is the same as the "EVGA Akimbo Cooler."

Whenever I start up a game the fan speed increases and the fan gets very loud (can hear it in more than 1 room in house). Once I exit the game, the fan after a minute or so becomes quiet again.

I used ASUS Smartdoctor to manually adjust fan speed and automatically adjust fan speed and both didn't work. Manual worked until I started a game, and fan went to becoming loud again.

Uninstalled Smartdoctor, installed Nvidia nTune, results were same as above.

I don't know why the manual fan speed setting doesn't keep a consistent noise level. No matter what I do the fan ends up reaching the same loud noise level. If I can't stop the fan speed from increasing, what would be a generally good % to set it at to reduce noise?

2. 123pop

123pop Thread Starter

Edit: I used the Nvidia Physx Cloth Demo while using RivaTuner to view gpu temps. Right when I started the demo, the fan speed increased. While doing the demo, the gpu temp was at a constant 48 degrees celcius.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/758322

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice