1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Fan not working?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ayotte218, Apr 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ayotte218

ayotte218 Thread Starter

How can I tell if my fan is working? I can't hear it but could it just be that quiet? I have a 3yo Vostro 1500. I ran SpeedFan and my GPU temp is 55C. Is that too hot? Should I be able to see something about my fans on that program (if so, there is nothing showing).

Louise

2. How'dIdoThat

How'dIdoThat

First Name:
    RWF
    You can use the free http://www.piriform.com/speccy to see if things are ok but 55c sounds high to me. Can you see the fan from the rear of the tower ? Is the tower clean of all dust and pet hair ? Are there any devices like a cell phone or printer near the tower that can cause magnetic buildup ?

3. ayotte218

ayotte218 Thread Starter

I am thinking that is high, too. It converts to 131F. This is a laptop and unlike another one I had, I cannot see the fan in this one. I hear it at startup (but then maybe it isn't the fan, could be something else, I guess) I will run the program you mentioned.....thank you for your response! I will report back when I am done.

Louise

4. ayotte218

ayotte218 Thread Starter

OK, I ran that teswt and I find temperatures; CPU 121F, hard drive 106F....tells me a lot of stuff but nothing as to whether or not the fan is running. Are the temperatures the only indicator?

5. How'dIdoThat

How'dIdoThat

First Name:
    RWF
    Well if it was overheating the computer would freeze up or shut down unexpectedly. Also when you click on Hard Drive in the Speccy program it will tell you if the status is good and what the max high temp. is.

6. ayotte218

ayotte218 Thread Starter

OK, thanks. the temp right now is 106F, the temp range is ok (less than 122F) and the status is good. So the fan must be working, eh?

7. How'dIdoThat

How'dIdoThat

First Name:
    RWF
    Yes I'd say so, is there anything else going on to make you wonder if the computer is less than ok ?

8. win2kpro

win2kpro

What processor do you have in the Vostro 1500? You need to know the processor used to get the thermal specs to see if a temperature is a cause for concern.

9. ayotte218

ayotte218 Thread Starter

It takes FOREVER to boot up, and is so very slow between apps. I posted to HJT and bumped a few times but have gotten no response. For the record, I am working on a different laptop. I am looking for a reason amnd thought I would research the fact that we can't hear the fan. Somewhere I read that can really slow your system down too.

10. ayotte218

ayotte218 Thread Starter

Operating System
    MS Windows XP Home 32-bit SP3
    CPU
    Intel Mobile Core 2 Duo T5470 @ 1.60GHz 117 ?F
    Merom 65nm Technology
    RAM
    1.0GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 331MHz 5-5-5-15
    Motherboard
    Dell Inc. 0WY040 (Microprocessor)
    Graphics
    Plug and Play Monitor @ 1280x800
    128MB GeForce 8400M GS (Dell) 135 ?F
    Hard Drives
    120GB Seagate ST9120822AS (SATA) 106 ?F
    Optical Drives
    Optiarc DVD+-RW AD-5540A
    Audio
    SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC

11. win2kpro

win2kpro

The T5470 processor temperature specification is 100°C.

If the temperature is 117°F = 47.2°C it is nothing to be concerned about.

12. ayotte218

ayotte218 Thread Starter

Thank you! I think I am in over my head and will take my machine to the shop today.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/917749

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice