Fan processor problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Sacr3D

Hello I think something is wrong with my processor fan it after 20 min it makes a really big sound and the only way to stop it is to touch it so it stops making the sound. Im also using SpeedFan and when its not making noises it turns at aprox 4900-5000 RPM but when it starts making sounds SpeedFan marks 0 RPM. Also when the fan makes noises the processor heats up. I hope I explained well ... help would be appreciated thx

Good Afternoon Sacr3D. This kind of problem is quite common, what usually happens is that the fan bearings wear or become dry. This can allow the fan to make strange noises especially in an intermittent kind of way. Touching the fan relocates it's running position temporarily.
In some cases the fan can actually be unscrewed and replaced with an identical type, alternatively as suggested the heat sink assembly can be replaced which comes with a new fan. If you replace the heatsink ensure you clean and reapply the heat transfer compound adequately to the processor mating surface.
With modern computers it is best to switch them off when not being used. This helps avoid this kind of fan problem.
Use absolute care observing antistatic techniques while working on this machine and ensure the power plug is removed anytime you work inside the case
Cheers qldit.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
It will be easier in most cases to replace the fan if it's removable without disturbing the HS/CPU bond. You won't have to tinker with the mounting and thermal compound that way.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online