1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

fan repair? (overheat?)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rosh325, Apr 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rosh325

rosh325 Thread Starter

Hey all,
    Well the fan on my 3 year old laptop is making alot of noise, pulsing, and even stoping from time to time. I plan to open up the laptop this weekend, but i was wondering, after i clean out the dust, if the fan still makes the noise, does this mean the ball bearings are shot. And if so, what do i do? What kind of lubrication is safe and how do i go about lubricating it. As you can see from the picture (scroll down) then fan is enclosed in a heatsink and i wont have much access to it. I think my computer is overheating right now b/c even the keyboard gets hot. Thanks for any help
    ~Dan
    http://www.mikeshardware.com/howtos/sonyhdswap/
    (see step 8 and 9)

2. Styxx

Styxx Banned

you'll likely have to replace the heatsink/fan if they're attached. Usually you're not able to repair malfunctioning fans in any way - laptop or desktop.

3. mtzlplex

mtzlplex Account Closed

Well, all I have to say about that comment is, at present I have 13 computers, 3 of which are laptops, all came to me with malfunctioning fans, and were said to be no good, or were in need of new fans. I took all apart, cleaned the fans, and lubed the bearing hole (where a small round sticker, or rubber gromet is located, peel it back, or take a small pin, and pull the rubber gromet back, and drop 4, or 5 drops of WD-40 into , spin the fan a few times, put back together, see how it goes). At present after 2 years, all are operating at 100%. Now after saying that, I haven`t taken apart your computer, but if you are going to take it apart anyway, and try to replace the fan yourself, why not try to lube it yourself, no WD-40 anywhere but where it needs to go(paper towel will protect underneath other parts). If you don`t feel secure doing this take it to a professional. Also, I don`t need to hear any grief from anyone who doesn`t like to get WD-40 on them, I have done this, and it can work. Although it is possible, a 3 year old fan should not be worn out. If heatsink, and fan are one unit, and cannot be taken apart for repair, that`s a diff ball of wax. Static electricity, and electricity should be taken into acount for, no electricity for the laptop, and no static electricity for yourself.

4. Styxx

Styxx Banned

Good information Peters321. I'll remember that fix. Didn't know it was even possible, ever. ty.

5. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Have no problem with the lubrication of the fan, but WD-40 is definitely not a suitable product.

Its primarily a solvent, and secondarily a water dispacement medium, but has only a minimal of lubrication properties. Of couse if the noise is due to the existing lubricant solidifying, the solvent may give some benefit, but not long term.

Using ordinary 3-in-1 oil would be better long term. Perhaps after the WD-40 has "done its thing".

6. ZeekeDaGeek

ZeekeDaGeek

I have also repaired numerous fans and my prefered method is to use a light solvent (alcohol) to clean any residues out. Then lubricate with a light oil.
    Take your time in dis-assembly of your laptop, and remember which screws went where. Ain't nothin' worse than putting in a case screw, turning the unit over and seeing the tip of the screw poking out of the case. BTW, I'm not saying this as the voice of experience, just advising caution.

7. rosh325

rosh325 Thread Starter

sounds good everyone...i think my first plan of action is just to open it up and clean out dust etc that I know has built up during the years. Maybe such dust is partially clogging the fan, causing my problem. My only concern with wd-40 was i was told it would wear off after a while, but I will see what i can do. So i basically would have to take the heatsink/fan unit out of my laptop, and find the sticker? If there is no sticker, how would i know where to place the oil?

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I normally punch a hole in the sticker, then use some really good tape to seal it after oiling it. You may be able to find a proper fan, though for a laptop, that's probably not all that likely...

9. mtzlplex

mtzlplex Account Closed

Well, all I have to say about the WD-40 controversy is that if anyone thinks I would be giving bad advice on this forum, call a mod, I really don`t care if you take any of my advice or not. Right now I am typing on a comp whose fan was lubed with WD-40 over 2 years ago, and I haven`t touched it since. If you don`t like my advice use someone elses.

10. Styxx

Styxx Banned

Relax Peters321:

You're over-reacting. I as well as others took down your technique as well as the other ones. Give us that little bit of leaway to decice which route sounds best for ourselves, Ok? We hear you talking. Over time I myself will have to try it both ways and judge for myself.

Tnx again, I had no iusea such fans could even be worked on without full replacement until you spoke up.

11. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

WD 40 will work to free it up if freeing up is possible but like was mentioned it isn't the best long term lube. Tro Flow, (expensive) is great stuff. The only problem with WD is after it cleans up, it mostly evaporates.
    Now I know that a 1/2 horse condensor fan motor is about as far away from and tiny computer fan as you can get, but if you oil a slow condensor fan motor with WD 40, it'll run like hell for about 10 minutes and lock up tight never to spin again. The 1075 rpms, and the heat involved will dry up the WD leaving no lube on the bearings. Siezure!!!! :(
    Now like I said, we are talking about a totally different animal here but WD is for freeing and short term lube. Long term would be any good lightwieght oil. I like tri flow, it has teflon suspended and does double duty.

12. Styxx

Styxx Banned

Question for Peters321, or any knowing soul:

If you're recommending 4-5 'drops' of WD-40, since WD-40 is only in a spray-can applicator with a nozzle (that I've ever seen) how do you get several 'drops' to use when the can-applicator sprays all the hell over even with the applicator tube? :eek: Inquiring minds want to know.

Simple oils are sounding a lot more correct. :p

13. rosh325

rosh325 Thread Starter

and where would one pick up these oils..just wondering?

14. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Nah Styxx, you can get WD in a squeeze bottle. It isn't as well known as its big brother spray can, but it is in your local hardware. Look for it next time down the aisle.
    Tri Flow can be studied here http://www.triflowlubricants.com/ Great stuff.

15. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Know what, I was wrong 2wice. Tri Flow has teflon suspended, and I can't find WD-40 in a squeeze bottle. I have had it, but it must have failed cause I saw it no more. :)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/221090

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice