1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Fan replacement for laptop - does it have to be the same model?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tricon7, Jan 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tricon7

tricon7 Thread Starter

I have a Toshiba laptop - a Satellite A105-S4079 model. It's an older laptop, so the fan I want to replace is hard to find and expensive. Is there any way a different model fan could be used in its place? Perhaps just an A105 without having to match teh S4079 part? Or even a non-Toshiba fan altogether?

Problem is that although the computer starts up fine, after a few moments it shuts down. My sources tell me that it's almost certainly a fan issue, that to keep it from overheating it just shuts it down. I've seen the Youtube videos of what it takes to replace the thing, and I'm not confident enough in myself to take the entire computer apart to swap it out. But I don't want to pay full retail for a fan, either, that a repairman will charge. So I thought I see if I could just buy the fan myself at the cheapest rate, then get a repair guy to swap it out with me only paying a labor charge.

Btw, what kind of rate would I expect to pay for a laptop fan replacement? I have no idea.

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Do you know for a fact the exhaust fan is not working and is causing the laptop to overheat and shut down?

Can you hear the exhaust fan running from time to time and can feel the warm air being emitted from it?

--------------------------------------------------------

If you have a small tabletop fan, set it to where it blows down on the keyboard area.

It doesn't need to be a strong blast of air, so set the fan speed accordingly.

Turn on the laptop and then see if it stays on with the tabletop fan blowing on it.

Before you spend $150 - $200 to have a computer shop replace the exhaust fan assembly, make sure that's the problem.

It may be some other hardware issue.

3. tricon7

tricon7 Thread Starter

Good idea. I didn't think of that.

4. valis

valis Moderator

can you elaborate on this? Curious as to what your sources are.

5. texasbullet

texasbullet

First Name:
    Ramon
  6. managed

managed Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Allan
    You can find the fan on Ebay, just search for Satellite A105 fan. BTW what country are you in ?

It's not that hard to fit it yourself, I would read this first :- http://www.irisvista.com/tech/newbie-tips.htm

Then read this dismantling guide, it shows how better than videos (click on any picture to get a larger version) :- http://www.irisvista.com/tech/laptops/Toshiba-Satellite-A105/remove-motherboard-1.htm

If you don't feel confident to do it after reading those 2 guides that's ok. Let us know.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1141149

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice