Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fan Replacement

807 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Danboy 
#1 ·
Hello,

My computer has been making a humming sound after it has been on a while. I took off the sides and blew out the dust, and alot came out of the fans. I noticed that one of the fans blades did not turn freely when I blew air on it. Hooked up the power cable and turned it on and the fan did not turn. Once and awhile it tried to turn but then would stop again. The fan is mounted on the motherboard and has ABIT printed on it. It is the smaller of the two fans mounted on the motherboard. How difficult is it to replace and what is it called? Is it the motherboard fan? Thanks for any advice. :)

Danboy

#3 ·
Firstly, remove the fan.

Then gently peel of the sticker at the back, be sure to keep this.

Then look into the fan and you will notice there is either a platic circle over the mechanism which spins the fan or a depression where you can see the mechanism.

If its the first, remove this plastic circle with some tweezers, keep this.

Then look at the mechanism and you will see a small plastic ring keeping th plastic fan in place. It is on a long metal rod which has a small groove in it.

(I can make some pics if RQD)

then remove the actual fan mechanism, clean with some electronic cleaning solvent and a cloth. Then put everything back together and spray some silicone in there (Or another product similar for moving parts, I find silicone works the best)

It should go well now, be sure to be generous in the amount of silicone and you should be fine!

Cheers,

Ratticus

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.