1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Fan Running Crazy & Crashes

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by truefaith, May 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. truefaith

truefaith Thread Starter

I was told that I have a hardware prob and I just want to be pointed in the right direction so I can get this taken care of: yesterday I started my computer up and it came on normal and then the fan kicked in and I couldn't do anything but shut it down and restart it. Now when I restarted it, I got these beeps (beep....beep....beep {long pauses in between}) and then the blue screen, telling me that the computer shut itself down to protect the computer. I just went through you guys to fix a hijack and security prob and it has been working fine... now all of a sudden this. I have Windows XP Home Edition! OH yeah and my fans are working fine and I do clean them often with a vacuum hose... I don't let the dust bunnies get thick!

PLEASE HELP MY COMPUTER WON'T START WITHOUT CRASHING!!!:eek:

2. Megabite

Megabite

What are the beeps exactly.....how many and long or short .....and is this a desktop?

3. truefaith

truefaith Thread Starter

Yes, this is a desktop and the beeps are long (they have about a 1-2 sec pause in between). I actually was able to get in my computer, it keeps crashing on me, but if you need me to run something so you can see what's on my computer, maybe I can make that happen

4. Megabite

Megabite

Check to see all fans are spinning on startup....including the heatsink fan (ontop of CPU) powersupply fan

5. truefaith

truefaith Thread Starter

Yes, they are all running on startup... I'm looking at them now.

6. Megabite

Megabite

How old is the PC powerSupply.........as this could be a problem ....and have you cleaned out the HeatSink of any dust

7. truefaith

truefaith Thread Starter

This is a 2005, I haven't had to change any of those kind of components and where and what is the heatsink? Because I do vacuum out any dust frequently so I won't get too much of a thick dust!

8. Megabite

Megabite

The heatsink could be clogged with dust and the thermal paste may need replacing.......this is just a guess but worth looking into.
    The heatsink sits ontop of the cpu and connects to the cpu with paste that can get dried out....it is for heat transfer ...to keep the CPU cool...if the CPU gets too hot it will shutdown the PC

Attached Files:

9. truefaith

truefaith Thread Starter

Okay, I will have it looked at. Thx for the quick reply!!!!! Really need to be pointed in the right direction!!:D

10. truefaith

truefaith Thread Starter

I forgot to ask what would be the best brand of heatsink to get if that is the prob? Or does it really matter, I also have to mention that I do video editing and I wonder if I am over working my computer.

11. Megabite

Megabite

Artic Silver 5 Thermal Paste is very good...........what are the specs of your PC....try pressing down the Windows logo key and tapping the Pause Break key

12. truefaith

truefaith Thread Starter

Okay, I just tried to get the specs and as far as I got was Microsoft Windows XP, Media Center Edition, version 2002, Service Pack 3... and then it crashed and went into 1 long Beep, now I'm kinda scared to try to start it up again! That was a new sound for me!!:confused:

13. Megabite

Megabite

Check the heat-sink.....but still could be the power supply or even motherboard.......can you tried taking the all memory out of the motherboard and the try starting the PC and see what happens

14. truefaith

truefaith Thread Starter

I'm really scared now... now it won't come on, it starts, but now the screen doesn't come on and I get this clicking sound... the fans are running still. Do you mean the memory board?

15. Megabite

Megabite

Clicking sound maybe the Hard drive........and I mean the memory sticks..........that are plugged into the motherboard

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/921411

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice