1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Fan running crazy, system collapses on start up

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tjob, May 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tjob

tjob Thread Starter

Hei guys, I just cleaned the fan from my laptop HP dv5095ea, it was running like hell before that. Now after cleaning it I can even start it! When i press the turn on button the fan works like crazy, stops, then boot is starting and at the same time the fan, and suddenly the laptop turns off! The thing is that i can turn it on just when laptop is cold. At idle its working ok but when i use some program after a while the fun will start going like crazy and laptop will shut down.
    Any ideas of what it might be? I'm running Windows 7 64 by the way.

I would appreciate any solutions and ideas!

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Did you remove the fan when you cleaned it? If so it might not be mounted correctly. And you may have to remove the old thermal paste and apply new paste as well. HP's are notorious for overheating.

3. tjob

tjob Thread Starter

No i didn't remove it, just undust it, right now its on the fan is not running and i have core temp on 41. Is it normal? could it be that the fan or sensor (if there is one) has gone kaput?

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Its possible that there is something obstructing the fan or vents, I've seen it where a dust ball blocks the ventialtion after cleaning, its get pushed into vents and gets stuck preventing the hot air from escaping.

5. tjob

tjob Thread Starter

Does it prevent it so much that it makes the fun running in top speed? One thing i noticed is that when the fan gets to its highest speed it takes approximatly 5 to 10 seconds before the system shuts down. After that i have to wait at least 10 minutes before i can start the pc.

6. bp936

bp936

My laptop runs at 40 to 48 C Harddrive and temperature is 57C with Speedfan. Fan seems to be always running, when it reaches 48C harddrive, laptop also shuts down, nothing moves

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Sure, laptops run hot as it is, doesn't take much to overheat them.

8. tjob

tjob Thread Starter

Ok, i'll open and clean it again, thoroughly this time. You'll hear from me when it's fixed.
    Thanks for the moment!

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/921022

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice