1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Fan speed control program or overheating laptop help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by necrovamp, Nov 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. necrovamp

necrovamp Thread Starter

I have a Gateway M-6851 Laptop running win7 x64 pro. When I bought it, I had heard about it being pretty warm. I did not think much of it, if it runs a little hot it's np.
    I have determined, however, that my games that run at 60fps when the laptop is cool, run at 19 fps when it is not.
    Not only does it cause problems in game, when I try and watch HD video, It laggs the video.
    It seems to stay hot all the time. I installed speedfan and here is the report.

Win9x:NO 64Bit:YES GiveIO:NO SpeedFan:YES
    I/O properly initialized
    Linked ISA BUS at $0290
    Linked Intel 82801HB ICH8 SMBUS at $1C00
    Scanning ISA BUS at $0290...
    Scanning Intel SMBus at $1C00...
    LM75 found on SMBus at $4C
    Found WDC WD2500BEVS-22UST0 on AdvSMART
    Found ACPI temperature (77.0C)
    Found Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T5550 @ 1.83GHz
    End of detection
    Loaded 0 events
    [​IMG]
    This seems pretty bad to me, especially that 77 degrees Celsius.

I cannot control my laptop's fans in speedfan.

I was wondering, Is there any other program that can let me control fans (or fan, lol)
    If not, what can I do?

My manufacturers warranty is out.
    I have the "best" cooling pad (doesn't seem to help)

2. necrovamp

necrovamp Thread Starter

That was my computer idling.....this is my computer after watching video for 20 mins.
    [​IMG]

3. eberlysystems

eberlysystems

Umm.... in my experience, Speedfan is about the best there is for temperature monitoring/control. It's probably a motherboard limitation - many OEM's omit or limit interactive fan controls (partially to trim costs, partially to protect themselves from user-error overheating and associated warranty claims).

I have mixed thoughts. While those temperatures are absolutely higher than desired, they aren't "out of range". Intel's specs (http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SLA4E#) place this cpu's Thermal Spec at 100 C. While that's considered a number you do NOT want to hit, it's more or less guaranteed to work up to that number. There's always some margin of error on the reported temps (depending whether they come from the CPU or the MB), but even with a 3% margin, you're not any higher than 88C. Therefore, in my opinion, it's a safety mechanism kicking in, rather than actual hardware failure.

Don't get me wrong though - that IS high. But it's designed to handle it.

If I were you, I'd check out your BIOS settings. It's possible they are set a little aggressive. Chances are that your gateway doesn't give you much control over them, but it's worth checking. If you're not familiar with manipulating BIOS settings, find someone who is. And IF you adjust the Thermal Throttling (I can't think what they call it in the BIOS at the moment), CHECK CHECK CHECK and TEST TEST TEST before you leave it. It's never a great idea to turn it OFF, and you always run the risk of damaging the CPU or other nearby components when you mess with heat / fan controls. BUT... if you can't even watch a movie, something needs changed.

I'd suggest (if you haven't already), clean out your vents and fans thoroughly. It's best to take it to a qualified technician, but even blowing your vents out gently with "canned air" would be a start. Dust build up can be one of the biggest enemies to Notebook cooling - Dell's found that out the hard way on many warranty cases.

P.S. Be very aware that any time you mess with BIOS settings, especially related to your CPU, you risk damaging the computer irreparably. If you're not experience, do it with fear and trembling, or don't do it at all.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/881314

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice