1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Fan spinning

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by elnnan, Aug 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. elnnan

elnnan Thread Starter

Problem first started with the monitor, shutting down after 15 mins. Checked all the settings in the power options. All normal. Changed the power supply, and this cured the monitor problem. However, the fan on the motherboard continues spinning even after shutting down the pc!! What could cause this problem?

Thanks in advance

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Have you checked after a few minutes of shutdown? If it's still spinning, it may be plugged into the wrong socket on the MB. There is always standby power supplied to the MB, obviously the fan is running off that power.

3. elnnan

elnnan Thread Starter

:confused:

HI
    Yes the fan runs on longer than 5 mins left it on over 10 mins... before I powered it off. Power supply is plugged into exactly where it was before... Have tried everything - cleaning it all out with compressed air, checked everything was securely plugged in. Don't know what to try now?

4. JohnWill

I'm somewhat at a loss. What is the exact model of the MB, and where exactly is the fan plugged in?

5. elnnan

elnnan Thread Starter

Hi again
    Thanks for the quick reply. Its a friends pc and its about 6 years old will run a programme to get the exact details of the motherboard, although I am sure it is a Microstar 6340 V1.0, it has an AMD processor, and 20 gig hard drive - the name on the fan is Foxconn if that is any help... heatsink fan, wondering now if it is an overheating problem and that the motherboard is about to fail.... ??

6. JohnWill

If it's six years old, I'm astonished it has MB connectors for the fans! :D Perhaps the fan is plugged into the +5VSB supply, which is on all the time. A MB that old may be difficult to get data for. If the fan only has two wires, try finding another MB connector for it and see if that solves the problem.

7. elnnan

elnnan Thread Starter

Resolved (y)

Hi again

Just to give you an update - I did a search online about power management in older motherboards (lots of reading - eyes sore)... anyway came across a setting that I had missed in Power management > properties > APM tab checked the box in there > clicked ok, shutdown pc and the fan stopped as it should... booted pc up again and no problems so far... Just goes to show should always go back and check all the settings... :) I learnt a lot though !!

Thanks for your help... don't know what I would do without this site

8. JohnWill

Glad you figured it out. :) Wierd that there was a setting to leave the fan running. :confused:

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/491367

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice