1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Fan working overtime when playing Portal!

Discussion in 'Games' started by HoneyH, Jan 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. HoneyH

HoneyH Thread Starter

Hello! First time poster here! Hope I am posting to the right thread!

I usually try to resolve my computer problems by googling and trial and error but when it comes to buying extra equipment I really don't want to be ripped off! I have just got a new laptop and started re playing Portal. When I play the game the underside of the computer becomes very hot and the fan works overtime. As soon as I stop playing things go back to normal. I guess this is because the game is making the laptop work harder?! I don't want to burn out my new laptop and I have read that I can get an external cooling system but I am not sure if it is worth it. The other option is to get a better graphics card for my desktop (as it won't play Portal 2 and is very glichie on minecraft) Which is the better option/easier/cheaper/will work better?!

Thanks in advance. :)

LAPTOP:
    Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2350M CPU @ 2.30GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 3999 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family, 1807 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 289090 MB, Free - 221051 MB; L: Total - 289090 MB, Free - 221051 MB;
    Motherboard: TOSHIBA, Portable PC
    Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Updated and Enabled

WILL ADD DESKTOP DETAILS IF SOMEONE THINKS THAT IT WOULD BE THE BETTER OPTION!

2. Super-D-38

Super-D-38

Welcome to TSG! (y)

Yes, the heat is from gaming. Games will tax a system very hard.
    My laptop is built for gaming and you should feel the heat this thing blows out the back. :D

Many standard laptops aren't built with that kind of cooling in mind, but should handle it. If anything it will probably shut down and or reboot if it overheats.
    If a graphics card is all you need to play portal on your desktop then playing games there would have better cooling. however, the freedom of taking a game with you is hard to part with.
    Cheaper would be to try a cooling pad. Google "laptop cooling pad", the shopping results show some from $10 to $35. Just read as many reviews you can about the ones you like.
    Don't know the size of your laptop but good reviews of "Cooler Master Notepal U3 Notebook cooling pad" for larger 17-19" laptops. around $35 at newegg. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834997872

My vote is to try a cooling pad, as watching videos will also heat up a laptop, though not as much as games.
    If you decide to become a "gamer" (higher end new games) I would build or find a system designed for gaming.

3. HoneyH

HoneyH Thread Starter

Sorry for not coming back to you sooner. I just wanted to say thank you for your help and I will try a cooling pad first before I start messing around with the desk top.

Thanks again.

4. HoneyH

HoneyH Thread Starter

Sorry for not coming back to you sooner. I just wanted to say thank you for your help and I will try a cooling pad first before I start messing around with the desk top.

Thanks again.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1084336

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice