1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Fan Xpert 2 - Interesting Possibilities

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by zantaff, Jan 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zantaff

zantaff Thread Starter

I recentally got a P8Z77-Pro and was excited to start using Fan Xpert because I had a really loud 120mm fan that I pulled from another computer. The thing is, this fan was only 2-pins.
    Upon experimenting with Xpert a bit, I noticed some strange things.

First of all, Xpert would recognize my 80mm fan (3pin) when plugged into fan header 4, but claim to have no control over it. When I plugged it into header 2, it then DID allow me to control it. I tried this a few times and got the same results.

Strange, right?
    Now for something even more strange.

I was just curious, and after calibrating my 80mm fan to header 2, I unplugged it and then plugged in my 120mm (2pin) fan into header 2.
    Fan Xpert then had control over my 2pin fan! I could move the slider and visually see the fan speed change.
    Even after multiple tests of Xpert not recognizing the 2pin fan, it still could control it, when it believed the 120mm fan was the 80mm. Huh

The kicker is, I can't confuse Xpert enough to allow BOTH fans to be controlled at the same time.
    I have to either trick Xpert into thinking my 2pin fan is a 3pin, and have then have no controll over the actual 3pin, or just leave it as default and controll the 3pin.

So, as I have it now, the loud 2pin fan is being controlled, and I'm just leaving the 3pin run according to what the mobo thinks.
    I'm still trying to find a way to enable control of all fans, but still no dice.

Any thoughts?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!