1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Fan

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jfbrad, Oct 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jfbrad

jfbrad Thread Starter

How do I find my fan , clean my fan or replace my fan? And how many fans are there in a 4 year old IBM Aptiva PC? And can I do it myself?

2. wrong_way

wrong_way

you have two fan's the cpu fan and the prosser fan if you know how to open your computer then you can figure out how to change them

3. suesman

suesman

CPU & Processor are the same thing.

Could we posibly get a Model#?

4. GwizJoe

GwizJoe

"CPU" and "Processor" are the same thing...,I think he meant a system fan which provides air flow through the case.
    A system (or case) fan,is not always provided by the manufacturer,but should be easy to locate with the case open.Look in the lower front,or upper rear of the case for a fan about 3" square.They are usually either screwed into place,or in a snap-in retaining cage.
    The one fan that is usually ALWAYS in a computer is the cooling fan for the Power Supply.Often it is the only way that air is circulated through the case.An 'ATX' power supply has the fan intigrated inside of the power supply unit,so getting it out to clean it (or replace it) is not an easy task for a beginner.That also voids any warranty on the Power Supply... I do not suggest doing it unless you have some practical electronics experience.

A "CPU" (processor) fan is mounted directly on the heatsink attached to the CPU.Believe it or not...,not all CPUs need one,so they are not always there either,some only require an over-sized heatsink.Should your processor/heatsink need one,it would be very obvious as well once the case is opened.These are typically quite small (1 1/2" square),but they do collect a lot of dust since they are usually higher speed than a system fan,and heatsinks are terrible dust traps.

To clean a fan,shut the system down and let it sit for a bit to completely cool down.You can purchase a can of compressed air at most retailers that have computer accessories.Be aware that the air coming out will get cold,so the longer you spray-the colder the parts get.This is why you want the system to be off for a bit,fast cooling a hot part will crack,or shatter it.
    I do suggest removing them to clean them thoroughly.Carefully remove the wiring plug from the motherboard and note where it goes back on.Most fans are easy to remove from their mounting position,either removing a few screws or releasing it from a containing clip,or "cage".Hold the fan blades still with one hand and gently brush the dust and grime off with a soft toothbrush (both sides).Then spray it over to be sure that no junk is trapped within the fan housing.
    With the fan off the heatsink,you can VERY CAREFULLY brush out any loose junk from the heatsink fins before you replace the fan.
    When replacing the fans,be sure that no screws are left over,not over-tightened,or loose either.When the screwdriver stops loosely turning,it should be tight enough.
    Carefully plug it back into the motherboard and fire that sucker up!
    If you hear any clattering,check for wires that may be obstructing the fan blades,or give the screws a slight tightening turn.
    Does that help?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/173393

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice