1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

fans running after shutdown

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by myzrael, Feb 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. myzrael

myzrael Thread Starter

I've been experiencing a very annoying problem. After I shutdown my computer, I hear noises coming from it!! The fans are still working and maybe something else... How could that happen? I am sure that my computer shuts down successfully because my monitor turns off, the green power light on the case is off, and the amount of noise lessens.
    I have to cut the power source down in order to quiet it completely.
    Please someone help me, for I am about to go crazy here...
    thanks for reading

2. 0tbyn8r

0tbyn8r

Hi myzrael

Did this only just start happening or has it been something that's existed since you had the PC?
    The reason I ask is that i'm certain I read somewhere about this. I'm sure the article stated that some boards, fans or other component had a function whereby the fans would continue for a short while after shutting down. This was apparently to allow the heat to dissipate and therefore prolong the life of your components. There was something in the article about heat increasing when the PC was powered off, so this function allowed the heat to go gradually.
    I'm sure this all sounds like rambling but i'll try to find the article. It was on some site about PC cooling ; maybe an overclockers site. I'll let you know as soon as I find it.

3. myzrael

myzrael Thread Starter

Hello 0tbyn8r,

Thank you for replying! This problem started 2-3 weeks ago. I had my current computer for more than 6 months and never noticed fans running after shut down.
    I found a similar article today about the stuff you mentioned. According to the article, fans run for 10 minutes at most. Mine runs forever!! Would it be possible to adjust the timer of the fans?

thanks again, looking forward to hear from you again..

4. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

Are you sure the PC is not just going into standby mode instead of completely shutting down?

BTW, What OS is it?

5. myzrael

myzrael Thread Starter

It sure seems like the computer is in stand by mode, but it is not. "Shut down" option is always selected in the shut down menu. I don't know how it could go into stand by mode without selecting that option first.
    My OS is windows 98SE

6. 0tbyn8r

0tbyn8r

It wouldn't happen to be a faulty power supply unit perhaps?

7. myzrael

myzrael Thread Starter

how would I check to see if the power supply is faulty?

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/119608

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice