Fans stop, voltage spike? fix?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

RndmUser

Hello, I recently bought a new PC (10600kf, 3060ti, BeQuiet! pure power 650 PSU, MSI Pro-A Z490 motherboard) about 6-7 months ago and have been having a recurring issue. ALL of my system fans (case fans and CPU fans, not the GPU) randomly stop. They usually work again after a restart but I did notice that my voltage doubles whenever this happens.

Is the only fix to replace both the motherboard and PSU? As I cannot determine which is the root cause myself?

Thanks in advance.

I would replace the power supply first. It is not normal for voltage to go high by itself.

BeQuiet! pure power 650 PSU,
Which particular model of PSU is it, not all are equal when it comes to quality, efficiency and output + some are modular and some are not.

did notice that my voltage doubles whenever this happens.
How was this measured.

Have you tried a different power outlet and made sure that all internal connections are secure at both ends.

This one of the reasons that people should have their expensive PCs hooked up to a UPS

RndmUser

Which particular model of PSU is it, not all are equal when it comes to quality, efficiency and output + some are modular and some are not.

How was this measured.

Have you tried a different power outlet and made sure that all internal connections are secure at both ends.

This one of the reasons that people should have their expensive PCs hooked up to a UPS
BN671
Full modular 80 plus gold efficiency.

Yes I ensured all connections were secure, and this has happened on two different outlets while on a UPS.

Measured the voltage through hardware monitoring software.
It read the voltage doubling on the 12v rail and on the transfer bridge?
Not 100% on what that means exactly, but voltage exceeding limits is bad as far as I know.

I do have it hooked into a UPS, bought that the day I bought this PC.

Decent enough PSU with only the modular cables not being secure the only concern.

The UPS in use and a different power outlet tried already should have been mentioned in your OP.

Alternative question, have you tried a direct connection from the wall socket to the PC and no UPS.

BQ as said are a decent brand of PSU, in addition to this, a faulty voltage regulator on the MB cannot be ruled out.

Measured the voltage through hardware monitoring software.
What monitoring software, only the BIOS gives a true reading and that is of no use to anyone as the computer is not under any load there

The attached video is the one that I use as an example to show the sort of equipment that is required to conclusively test a PSU , don`t worry about the what can happen when testing cheap and nasty PSUs message,

What the equipment does is simulate a computer under load and so the PSU behaves as it would when it is powering your PC, multi-meters and the basic testing devices that you can purchase from some merchants only test the basic voltage output from the PSU rails and so cannot be relied on as 100% conclusive.

Cheap PSUs exploding when being properly tested

Jonny Guru video

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online