1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Fans too loud after setting bios to default and replacing power supply

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by vivienne, Dec 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. vivienne

vivienne Thread Starter

Hi

About a year ago, a technician changed a Bios setting so that the computer would not be too loud. Last week, I was trying to identify a shut down error and reset the bios to default. The error was found, not to be a bios setting but a failing Power supply, which has been replaced by another technician. It is the same power supply I had - Antec 430. The computer is now very loud again.

I have an Asus A7N8XE-Deluxe board. I enabled Q-Fan Control . I left it at the default setting of 15/16 and the speed up/down response time as 4sec/8sec but this has not made a difference.

Please do you have any suggestions?

Thanks!!

Vivienne

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You might want to tinker with the fan settings, perhaps the temperatures for full speed are set too slow?

3. vivienne

vivienne Thread Starter

John:

I don't know how to do that. :-( Where do I change those settings ?

Thanks!!!!!

Vivienne

4. JohnWill

I would assume in the same place you set the Q-Fan options. I don't have that option, but in the ABIT Fatal1ty MB I have with fan controls, it has the temperatures in the fan control section.

5. vivienne

vivienne Thread Starter

John:

It's not there. The only choices are Fan/Speed Ratio and Speedup/Down response time.
    Fan/Speed Ratio settings are: 11/16 , 12/16, 13/16, 14/16, 15/16. I don't know what this means and which one to choose. When I google it said that 15/16 is 90 percent speed.

They also have a speed up/down response time. The enabled default setting is 4sec/8ec. They have also 1/2, 2/4, 3/6. I don't know what this means either.

Thanks!

Vivienne

6. JohnWill

Perhaps picking one of the other ratios? I think you'll have to do some tinkering to see what works. Since this worked before you reset the BIOS, I suspect it can be made to work again with the proper settings. :)

7. vivienne

vivienne Thread Starter

Okay - will do. Do you know if I change both settings ? Do you know what they mean?

Also, could it be a different connection when the PSU was replaced?

Thanks!

Vivienne

8. replay

replay

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If the Q-Fan settings don't work it may be one of the fans is brushing against something or is wearing out. Do you know which fan is making the noise? Probably the CPU fan, and it should be plugged into the CPU-FAN header on the motherboard - if its been moved when the PSU was replaced then Q-FAN won't be able to work.

11/16 should be th slowest, the second numbers should be how fast the fan reacts.

You can use Asus Probe to monitor the temps in Windows to make sure its not over heating.

10. vivienne

vivienne Thread Starter

Triple6 and Replay:

Thank you *very* much! The computer is my daughter in law's and I shall pass along your advice. Thanks, Replay, for the manual link.

I shall ask her to open the case and see which fan it is that is making the noise. Is that the best way to check?

I will suggest that she put both settings on the lowest speed and see what happens. If it is not working, I am going to presume that it is not plugged in properly. Is there something on the motherboard that *says* CPU-FAN or is that found only in the manual ? Is it something that anyone can do? No one in our family is familiar with doing such things. :-(

Thanks - I shall install it!

Again, thank you *very* much!!

Vivienne

11. vivienne

vivienne Thread Starter

Hi again

We changed settings in Q-Control and it makes no difference. DIL opened case and the side fell against the computer and the wire on the side fan broke. :-( She checked the fans and none seemed to be rubbing against anything, etc. They seemed 'free'. She does not think it is the cpu fan where the noise is coming from. There were three fans - one on the side and two at the back. She thinks the noise is coming from the back ones. She is now willing to live with the noise as she doesn't want to cause any more damage. Is it okay to not have the side fan connected if she monitors the temps? Next time we need to take it in to the shop, we can ask them to fix it.

She installed Asus Probe and would like some help choosing the threshold temperatures. This is what the program says:

These are the recommended settings for the Baseboard Thermal Instrumentation. Low Thermal Poling Interval is used here to instantly warn of damaging Temperatures. You can change the settings within the range specified.

Nominal Baseboard Temperature: 30 C
    Current Baseboard Temperature: 24 C
    Maximum Threshold Temperature: 80 C

We can choose a threshold (30 C-80 C) and the default setting is 75
    We can choose a Polling interval (1 Sec - 60 Sec) and the default is 5

Should any of these default settings be changed ?

Thanks very much!

Vivienne

12. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    No they're ok, Nominal is a little low, mid 30's would be ok rather then 30.

If its a case fan then try unplugging each of the case fans and try to isolate the source. Then see where that fan plugs into, ie. the motherboard or power supply and if the motherboard to which fan connector. You may be able to use a program like Speedfan to control fan speeds within Windows if the fan is connected to the motherboard with a three wire connection. Can't remember if Asus Probe can do that or not as its been a while since I've had it installed.

Also check to see if the case fans have a manual speed control, some have a switch or knob connected to them.

If a wire is broken off a fan and it still works then that wire could be the tach wire that senses the speed.

13. vivienne

vivienne Thread Starter

Hi Triple6

What does nominal mean ? The only things that can be changed is threshold. Do you think 75 is too high ?

I'll pass on the instructions. Maybe she'll be courageous enough to try. :)

Okay - if so, that could solve it.

I was under the impression that the fan was not working as she wanted me to ask you if it was safe to run the computer without it if she monitored the temps. When I was googling for information, someone said that Asus probe could be off by about 15 degrees.!! Does that make sense to you?

Thanks very much for your advice. It is so appreciated.

Vivienne

14. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Nominal means 'ideal'.

If the fan doesn't work at all then its the power or ground wire thats broken.

The readings could be off, thats true. The program depends on the sensors to be implemented in a standard way and for them to be accurate, of which neither may be true. Its usually good to check the temps against those in the BIOS and if they match then you should be able to use the software monitors with some confidence.

15. vivienne

vivienne Thread Starter

Hi Triple6

Thanks.

I would say it is the wire that she just broke trying to determine which fan was making the noise. She said she is going to twine it together and cover with electrical tape and see if that makes it work.

Good idea!

Triple6, thank you!!

Vivienne

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/527612

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice