1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Fantom External Hard Drive Not Working

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TexasDreamer, Jan 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TexasDreamer

TexasDreamer Thread Starter

Hello! Yesterday my Fantom External 1TB Hard Drive fell in between the window and desk landing on the computer cables. After the fall it started making a clicking noise which is repeated over and over then stops. After which the device is only detected as "Fantom USB Device" and not a Hard Drive.

I know I will need to send the device in for repair or a replacement. I would like help with recovering the data before sending it in, if you can help. My computer specs are as follow:

Computer Specs:
    HP-Compaq
    Model: SR5710F
    AMD Athlon Dual Core Processor 4450a 2.30 GHz
    Memory (RAM): 3GB
    System Type: 32-bit OS

External HD Specs:
    Fantom Drives
    Model: GF1000EU
    1.0 TB
    USB SATA

I've read up on a few solutions and would like help with choosing the correct one to use if its possible. The data recovery companies charge more than the device is worth and if there's a way I could recover my life from this hard drive that would be totally awesome!

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

3. TexasDreamer

Thanks for your advice. That was my backup!!!!

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Then it's good you still have the originals.

Sorry about the drive. Externals are prone to that. I lost 500 GB's from a mild drop.

5. TexasDreamer

Not a good thing because that was my backup for all my documents. I think I should just count this as a major loss, because it looks like I won't be able to get anything back.

Thanks again for all your help, I really and truly appreciated it! Have a great day!

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

Sorry. But is isn't a "backup" if you don't have the originals. They are the originals.

Make drive images and have your whole system "backed up". Your main hard drive will fail, too, and then everything will be gone if you don't have your operating system, programs, and files backed up.

Free Disk Imaging Tools:

EASEUS Todo Backup
    Runtime Shadow Copy
    SelfImage (Open-source)
    O&O DiskImage Express
    Macrium Reflect
    PING (Partimage Is Not Ghost) (Free alternative to Ghost with more features)
    Paragon Drive Backup Express
    Drive Image XML
    G4U - Ghost For Unix (Platform-independent, floppy or CD)
    DiscWizard (For Seagate or Maxtor drives - contains reduced version of Acronis)

Don't forget to make the boot CD whichever one you choose. If the machine will not boot the operating system, you can still boot from the CD and use its tools to restore the image you made on the external drive.

7. TexasDreamer

Thank you again, I will do this from now on, because all my files are lost because I moved them from my computer's hd to the external hd and when it fell they're gone now and I can't afford the recovery companies prices so I have to start all over. Thanks again, very good advice that I'm taking to heart!

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/897920