1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Far-Right side of notebook keyboard doesn't work

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Damonc, Feb 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Damonc

Damonc Thread Starter

First Name:
    Damon
    a friend has asked me to have a look at a laptop that hes had lying around for a while, the only problem with this machine (its a 'digital' HiNote VP) is that the far right side of the keyboard doesn't work correctly e.g when enter is pressed it do anything (most of the time minimise windows) sometimes however it does actually function properly.

I'm assume that because of the keyboard doing this its probably had something spilt on it at one stage, but I've opened the keyboard up and its all clean. Just wondering what people think could cause this and if its possible to try and fix the keyboard or should I just try to locate a replacement keyboard?

I've already ruled out a software problem because the keyboard also plays up in the BIOS in DOS etc (its running Windows 98)

2. pinntech

pinntech

Well, there are a lot of possibilities here. I would do the following:

Boot to a command prompt. If the keys don’t work there, you have eliminated a problem with the operating system. If they work there, it is most likely an operating system problem.

If the laptop has been disassembled, check the keyboard to motherboard ribbon cable (if one exist) and make sure it is not damaged.

Just because you don’t see anything that looks like a spill, does not necessarily mean something wasn’t spilt in it.

You could take a shot at replacing the keyboard to see if that is the problem. If that is not the problem, then it is most likely a controller problem on the motherboard – this does not happen very often.

Does the laptop have an external keyboard/mouse (PS/2) connector? If it does, you could try an external keyboard to see if it will work. If that does not work either, then you most likely have a problem with the motherboard.

All in all, with the keyboard working part of the time, I would say that it needs to be replaced.

I hope that helps a little.

Shane

3. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Replacement keyboards for that model are cheap.

4. Damonc

Damonc Thread Starter

First Name:
    Damon
    Yeah.. so i've discovered.. I found a half-stripped machine the same on eBay, so I've bidded on it for its parts.

The keyboard still stuffs up at the command prompt and an external keyboard works fine. something with that keyboard is stuffed so I'm just going to replace it.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/326873

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice