Fast Because of WinMe or . . . ?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

SGtheArtist

Hello,
My parents just bought a computer that has the following key components that I think pretain to this question:

Celeron 900 (950?)
128MB PC100 SDRAM
20GB 5400 RPM HDD
Windows Me
*Not too many programs on startup
*Single Monitor @ 1024x768

My computer on the other had has:

Pentium 3 500 (o/c @ 575) Katimai (Something like that)
512MB PC100 SDRAM (o/c @ 115)
13GB 7200 RPM HDD (2x)
Windows 98 (Original Ed.)
*Several startup programs
*TRIPLE Video cards & Monitors @ 1280x1024

I was wondering compared to my computer my parents computer seems to run faster, ESPECIALLY on startup and shutdown. I was wondering if this is mostly caused by Windows Me and if so then would I possibly also see this speed (if not faster because of my 7200 RPM HDD) if I installed Windows Me on my machine. Or is the speed difference because of the 900MHz compared to my 575MHz and the difference in the number of startup programs?

I appreciate any input that can help me determine if I want to invest my time, effort, & money into making the move to Windows Me in order to see this kind of increase in speed, Thanks.

IMHO, it is because of the startup programs on the computer is the difference between the two. Technically the older one is faster because of the RAM. You would not notice the difference in the CPU speed. Personally I woundn't change the OS because Me does have some gadgets that make the home computer OS better. I would buy some more RAM for it though while the price is down.

If your wondering wether or not to put me on your machine then personally I would give it a try. It does load and shut down a little faster because it doesn't load dos so if you run any programs in dos then don't bother with it. The stuff running in the background and at startup does alter speed a little but I've upgraded from 98se with more stuff running on it and my system is a little faster. If all your programs are compatible you can save your original files and load me around your other stuff. If you don't like it you can always revert back and if it's not costing you much you've only wasted time. The difference between the 2 OS seems to be mostly cosmetic but ME does have some nice touches and personally I quite like it. The choice is yours, as they say.

cooter

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online