1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Fast Ethernet 10/100 5-Port Hub - Install???

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by goescrunch, Jul 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. goescrunch

goescrunch Thread Starter

Okay, so I bought this sucker at walmart, along with the required "ethernet cable", like the electronics weirdo told me I needed. So, I'm just dumb dumb dumb about these sorts of things. ;_; Um... The computer I'm on right now has DSL, wonderful wonderful DSL. My computer, however, does not. We are wanting to share the DSL, as sharing is caring says Barney. So, I don't see the proper hole on my computer, and we want to stick the cable in his thingie and my thingie, but we don't know what to do. Where on his thingie do I stick the cable? Seems all the holes are filled already. As for my computer, it doesn't have a hole big enough for the "ethernet cable" thingie. What am I missing or probably need? I'll love forever anyone who can help me. TANKOO!!!!!!!! :-* ::gives out luv and happiness to the helpful peoples::

2. JimZ

JimZ

What i think you need is a router. You plug ur dsl modem to the router then your computers to the router. I think that is your problem

3. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Howdy there goescrunch...

I think you're going to need a NIC ( Network Interface Card ) as well as the router as JimZ mentioned...

4. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

I am kind of getting the impression that your DSL modem is hooked up to a USB port or is it hooked up to a Network Interface Card(NIC). Basically a nic card looks like an oversized telephone jack. It is called an RJ45 jack. You will need one of these in each computer.

You basically did not need to buy a hub to share the internet connection. All you really need is a NIC card in each computer and an Ethernet Crossover Cable.

First we need to establish how your DSL modem is hooked into the computer that has access to the internet right now and then you will need to buy a nic card for each computer.

But they are right about the router if your DSL modem has a RJ45 jack on it as well. That is the best way to go.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/147902

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice