1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Fast questions on a wireless hook-up.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by normpeterson, Sep 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. normpeterson

normpeterson Thread Starter

Hello all! I just connected a customers computer to cable and cleaned it all up of spyware and virus', now I am going to connect a their computer to a wireless linksys router. I do not have the model #, sorry, but I think it is one of their basic wireless routers. Anyway, he has a pc with xp home on it and wants to connect the cable (comcast) to another pc and a laptop for his family. I do not have the specs on the laptop or other pc, althought the laptop I believe is pretty new and the other pc should not be too old. Anyway, he has the router and the cards for the both pc's and the laptop. One question is dumb, but he can hook up more than one computer wirelessly with the router, right? Also, I assume the install disk that comes with the router needs to also be run from the computers that will pick up the connection, or will the computers pick this up from the cards that were installed? I also wanted to know if there are any hidden issues that I should be aware of before I start this and if there are any good, basic sites to visit beforehand also to learn as much as I can about the process. I am planning on reading the instructions and getting the computers all connected, but I know that these things never go easy and I just want to be as prepared as I can before I even go over there on Sunday. I cant afford to get stuck there and miss my football games! :) Thanks to all! Norman.

2. seven

seven

The router typically will have 4 ports you can hardwire computers to. The main computer needs to be connected directly to the router.
    The other computers you may need to install the software for the wireless adapters if the OS does not do that for you.

On the computer directly connected to the router, use the CD to set up the router.

Don't forget to use WEP encyption or every Tom Dick and Harry can drive by and access your open network

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/276497

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice