Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fast User Switching, cannot switch users, access is denied, XP Pro

3K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  HaHo 
#1 ·
Dell Dimension 8400 desktop, Pentium 4, 3.00GHz, 1.00GB RAM, Windows XP Pro SP3, single machine (i.e. not networked), PC-cillin Internet Security 2007 always up to date, IE7 for browser.

This computer has been running perfectly for over a year until 4 days ago. We have 3 users on the Welcome Screen and they all have administrator accounts. You can log on to any account with no problem. If you log off someone else can log on to their account with no problem. However, if you are logged on and want to stay logged on and then click <Log Off> <Switch User> and then try logging on with another account after about 5 seconds the screen goes black except for a box in the center that has the following message.

The system cannot log you on due to the following error:
access is denied
Please try again or consult your system administrator
underneath the above wording is a box that says OK. I then click OK. At this point the Welcome Screen comes back and it will have the following. It will say that the person who clicked <Switch User> is Logged on. When you click on the logged in person or the other two accounts it just brings up the same black screen with the same box saying you cannot log in and access is denied. However, it only takes 1/10th of a second or less to do it rather than the 5 seconds it took the first time.

Also, it asks for password once in a while. I can't figure out a pattern to this. Until 4 days ago we just clicked on our user account name and the password box never came up. It does come up once in a while now, but you can leave it blank and press enter and everything appears to work exactly like it does when you left click on your user name and then press enter. This password box usually does not pop up right at first after rebooting, but I think it has come up right after rebooting. Once the password box comes up, it keeps coming up for every account every time until the computer is turned off and on again. Everything appears to work exactly the same whether the password box comes up or it doesn't come up.

Also, we cannot log in to our Yahoo mail, bank account or credit card account. IE7 appears to be working perfectly. We can go to Yahoo or our bank account web site or do virtually anything else on the web. However, when we try to click on the log on page of any of these sites, we get the message: Internet Explorer cannot display the web page. Thus, to get e-mail we have to go to another computer. I turned off our firewall and it worked the same.

I have done a complete scan of the computer in the last 2 hours with PC-cillin and I ran Lavasoft's AdAware, but nothing other than cookies and some MRU (most recently used) registry items.

In <Control Panel> <User Accounts><Change the way users log on>, both use the Welcome Screen and Use Fast User Switching are checked. I made a new (4th) account while in Safe Mode, but it works the same way. I ran the command <Run><services.msc><Fast User Switching Compatability>. It was set to manual. I switched it to automatic, but it worked the same so I set it back to manual.

I have not tried the computer without Fast User Switching. I would like to use it if I can, but it is not a high priority. I know it takes up system resources and perhaps turning it off would solve some or all of the problems and this might be the best solution. I am not sure if all the problems are related.

Really the main problem is getting e-mail and using other web site accounts that require a log on page that we can't use now.

Thanks,
HaHo

P.S. I will keep checking e-mail, although it is a little more difficult to do.

See less See more
#4 ·
I have already tried <Start><Run><services.msc><OK><Fast User Switching Compatability> Startup type <Automatic>. It was in the original posting, but I realize I put too much stuff in there to really read it all. I have it switched to automatic now. Everything works in the same wrong way.

I've done several other things as well. System Restore, Check Disk, I turned off Fast User Switching and turned it back on, and looked at the event log. I also did the following, but it probably doesn't mean anything.

I clicked <Control Panel><Administrative Tools><Services><Terminal Services> I then double clicked <Remote Procedure Call Locator> (note: this is the one listed below Remote Procedure Call) It showed:
Startup type: Manual
Service status: Stopped

There is a button that says “Start” right under where it says “Stopped” I am not sure this matters, because I am not sure if there are any dependencies for this program. Perhaps all that matters is Remote Procedure Call and it appears to be correct as described below.

When I double clicked <Remote Procedure Call> I got the following with everything grayed out, or in other words I couldn’t select them. It showed:
Startup type: Automatic
Service status: Started

Thanks for the help, but I still need more,

HaHo

#5 ·
negotiator 75 I looked this over again and saw you said I was close and realized I didn't know what you were saying. I am not sure what I was/am supposed to do. Should I click on <Start> in the taskbar which is at the bottom left (default setting) of my Windows XP operating systems screen. Then click on <Run> then type in cmd and run something like services.msc in DOS? I am not sure where I am supposed to type. It probably seems really obvious, but walk me through it. I should have put down that my Experience: was the next step below Intermediate.

#6 ·
I’ve decided to give up on using fast user switching on my computer, at least for the time being. No big loss. There were two things I didn’t do which may have helped. JoanYoung and Mike5532g recommended going to http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_sys32.htm and using #34 restore fast user switching in some somewhat similar circumstances . They did not recommend it to me, but perhaps they did not see this posting. Also, If I had placed a HiJackThis log on here someone may have been able to help me as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.