1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Faster Bootup

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by fatcat6499, Apr 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fatcat6499

fatcat6499 Thread Starter

Ok first of all I do not recomend doing this if you dont know what your doing by unchecking some of these Items it could possibley stop your computer from Bootingup/Opening needed windows files.

1.Go to startmenu
    2.Go to Run
    3.Type msconfig
    4.Go to Startup
    5.Uncheck what you dont want starting up

e.g. aim: Aim is Aol Instant Messenger

Do not uncheck any RUNDLL32.EXEs those are needed.

There are some things in there that look extreamely fishy then close them But REMEMBER WHAT YOU DID in case you need to put them back on, I unchecked things that did not have improper names like £?/ö But this will help alot! Even the Fastest computers take a long time to boot up cuz of all the stuff in there thats unessecary/unwanted

Hope this helps

2. polak

polak

3. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR

Where does this belong? It looks like a misplaced response to someone's question

4. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

It's from a poster who's pretty much pushing for his account to be disabled. I've just been cleaning up after some of his other posts from last night, and I'm not very humored this morning :mad:

5. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR

Just a little gift to start your day off right?

That's always nice.................. :rolleyes:

6. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

And anyway msconfig is meant to be used as a diagnostic rather than a permanent solution.

7. ~Candy~

Actually, using msconfig to uncheck items that are put there by software installations that 'think' you want them running every time windows loads, is ok.

8. MustBNuts

MustBNuts

That brings up an interesting question....in XP Pro, when you uncheck an item and restart, you get a message indicating that you've adjusted the startup through msconfig and the "utility" will run as long as the item remains changed....

It seems to me that fixing the issue through the apps properties or in the registry would fee up whatever resources the "utility" is using....

Thoughts....?

MBN

Attached Files:

9. ~Candy~

It's referring to the system configuration utility. I just check the box to not show it to me again.

10. MustBNuts

MustBNuts

Please excuse my obvious brain fart.... :D had I bothered to read the entire message I would have noticed the end of that sentence with the checkmark, "....or launch the System Configuration Utility when Windows starts."

please, repeat after me.... "duhhhhhh!"

MBN

11. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

12. ~Candy~

I guess I would ask, why bother? When you can just turn them off yourself? Maybe I am missing something here ;)

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/222318

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice