Faster Bootup

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

fatcat6499

Ok first of all I do not recomend doing this if you dont know what your doing by unchecking some of these Items it could possibley stop your computer from Bootingup/Opening needed windows files.

1.Go to startmenu
2.Go to Run
3.Type msconfig
4.Go to Startup
5.Uncheck what you dont want starting up

e.g. aim: Aim is Aol Instant Messenger

Do not uncheck any RUNDLL32.EXEs those are needed.

There are some things in there that look extreamely fishy then close them But REMEMBER WHAT YOU DID in case you need to put them back on, I unchecked things that did not have improper names like £?/ö But this will help alot! Even the Fastest computers take a long time to boot up cuz of all the stuff in there thats unessecary/unwanted

Hope this helps

Where does this belong? It looks like a misplaced response to someone's question

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
It's from a poster who's pretty much pushing for his account to be disabled. I've just been cleaning up after some of his other posts from last night, and I'm not very humored this morning :mad:

Just a little gift to start your day off right?

That's always nice.................. :rolleyes:

MysticEyes

Banned
And anyway msconfig is meant to be used as a diagnostic rather than a permanent solution.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Actually, using msconfig to uncheck items that are put there by software installations that 'think' you want them running every time windows loads, is ok.

That brings up an interesting question....in XP Pro, when you uncheck an item and restart, you get a message indicating that you've adjusted the startup through msconfig and the "utility" will run as long as the item remains changed....

It seems to me that fixing the issue through the apps properties or in the registry would fee up whatever resources the "utility" is using....

Thoughts....?

MBN

Attachments

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
It's referring to the system configuration utility. I just check the box to not show it to me again.

Please excuse my obvious brain fart.... :D had I bothered to read the entire message I would have noticed the end of that sentence with the checkmark, "....or launch the System Configuration Utility when Windows starts."

please, repeat after me.... "duhhhhhh!"

MBN

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
I guess I would ask, why bother? When you can just turn them off yourself? Maybe I am missing something here ;)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online