Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Faster Computer

4K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  wwayne90 
#1 ·
hi I have at this time a Dell 2400demention system with just the basic that came with it WindowsXP-Ram512 Cdrive 37.2GB...I have satelite internet but I want to buy a faster tower for my system so I guess what my question is what is a faster system than Ive got,I dont want nothing to expensive,their must be something out their thats faster than I already got,I just need a tower got everything else,hope you understand what Im asking,Thank You

#4 ·
im only going to use it for my own pleasure,now that I got satelite internet,I would like it to open faster,I know mine is an older unit,thats why Im checking to see whats out their for me thats not so expensive.my 2400 is alright but you half to say its SLOW,I need something faster,can you send me in the right direction,if so I would really appreciate it,thanks alot

#5 ·
what do you mean by slow - is it the internet or the PC _ you may find if its the internet - its a function of the speed you get via satelite - whats the download speed you are paying for

try speedtest.net

#6 ·
Look on the machine and there should be a decal with a Dell service tag number. Post the service tag number so we can see the original configuration.

When working on older Dell's such as the 2400 or 3000 models generally the most improvement will come from adding more memory to bring the memory up to 1GB and on some models if they have a Celeron processor you can get better performance if you upgrade to a Pentium processor. Socket 478 Pentium processors can be purchased cheap if your machine will support a Pentium faster than what you presently have installed.

#9 ·
The service tag number you posted is not correct.

Whether you purchase a new machine, a refurbished machine or upgrade your machine is going to be determined by how much money you have available to spend and how you intend to use the machine.

#10 ·
see DoubleHelix post - re upgrading
also you may want to consider my post - on where the bottle neck is - if you have a slow internet then that maybe the limit - as requested - what is it thats slow

#12 ·
Refurbished PCs are not necessarily going to be slower than "new" PCs. It only depends on what's IN the PC. Refurb has nothing to do with the speed. In fact many refurb PCs will blow away new PCs, of course depending on what's in them. Don't let refurbs scare you when you are trying to save money. A lot of them are great deals. Feel free to post prices/specs of things you are looking at and I'm sure a lot of people can tell you if you are getting ripped off depending on the specs vs. price vs. refurb.

#13 ·
Thanks guys for everything,at least what you said makes sence so now at least I know what to look for either new or refurb;;;;;;;;what is the next system up from the 2400,for dell maybe thats the way i will go,
i dont need much Im a 100% disabled vet and have alot of time on my hands,so i guess that is why Im asking,gets kind of boring just sitting around,esp. in the winter months,thanks for all guys .

#15 ·
Just go to Dell's website (if you want the current Dell models). They usually offer "no interest financing" for a period of time. Most 'big box stores' will offer that too (like BestBuy). This is the best time of the year to find great deals on tech stuff. Check out ads now and you'll be happy you did!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.