1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

faster swaps windows XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by kencol, Jan 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kencol

kencol Thread Starter

How can I move my swapfile onto my underused USB thumb drive?

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I don't think Windows will let you put the page file on removable media, and it sure wouldn't speed anything up if you did! USB FLASH drives are MUCH slower to read and write than hard disk drives.

With a decent amount of memory, the page file speed is not an issue anyway. You are trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist, and your cure is worse than the disease.

3. kencol

kencol Thread Starter

Windows will let one use a removable drive. I stumbled into system properties and from there it was quite intuitive and performance is snappier. I believe anything that moves (mechanical) is slower than solid state. But thanks from Colombia:D

4. JohnWill

Well, I'm very doubtful that it makes any difference in performance, and I only have to look at the transfer speeds of my fastest USB 2.0 FLASH drive and compare it to my hard disk to convince me that FLASH memory is still slower than hard disks. You don't seem to grasp the fact that writing to FLASH is much slower than writing to hard disks, as well as the fact that FLASH has a limited number of write cycles before it dies.

I just did the test and got 8mb/sec writes and 11mb/sec reads from a SanDisk 512mb USB 2.0 FLASH drive, and my RAID-0 array clocks in at 70mb/sec writes and 90mb/sec reads. Guess where I'd rather have my page file if it were heavily used.

5. kencol

kencol Thread Starter

Thankyou for your input but I think have solved a problem cheaply and easily. I have the advantage of having the machine in front of me and without running in exotic tests I can visibly see a marked differenceinperformance

6. JohnWill

Whatever floats your boat. :rolleyes:

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/435926

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice