1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Fastest at present - AMD or Intel - Upgrade checklist

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lunchbox, Jul 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lunchbox

lunchbox Thread Starter

Hi all,

I was looking at upgrading my current system (specs below) but ive found out that the CPU/Ram alone would be in excess of what it would cost me to get a new cpu/mobo/ram combo.

What is the fastest at the moment? The AMD chips (AM2) or Intel Core 2 DUO (Unsure of the socket names)

What would be a comparative system to what i have now? I would prefer to continue using an NVIDIA mobo chipset if at all possible. Can anyone shed some light please

2. Mosquito555

Mosquito555

Hi!

AMD and Intel have similar models in the market, there is no real difference in speeds. For each model of one company there is an equal to it from the other. Well, at least on the casual models. At the most "exotic" models Intel is a little step ahead but AMD will soon launch their new "Barchelona" code named chips.

However I would go with Intel (The socket their CPUs use is called LGA775) as you can get right away a quad core proccessor or you can upgrade to it later without changing your ram or motherboard. AMD will launch a quad core platform later but it will require two dual core chips, not one quad core. Also most Intel chips perform better while clocked lower so you figure out that their thermal behaviour and overclocking potential are better.

On the other hand AMD's prices are a lot lower for almost every chip. You can get a powerfull CPU on bargain price. For example in my country you can get an Athlon64 X2 4600+(Dual Core) about 98Euros! Intel's suggestion in the same "horsepower" is the Core 2 Duo E6320 priced around 170Euros...So you can get the picture.

Last thing: You own an Opteron which is AMD server CPU suggestion. If you run a server you can get an Intel Xeon,newer AMD Opteron or the Intel Core 2 Quad. Since I'm not familiar with the server market I can't suggest anything here.

As for the NVidia chipset you can get NForce 680 (or older) based platforms which exist for both Intel and AMD.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!