1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

fastest, easiest way to transfer files/settings/programs

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Flicker, Jan 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Flicker

Flicker Thread Starter

Hi. I'm thinking about upgrading and building a new system, but this time I want to try to keep everything on my current hard-drive - programs (like games) in particular. My Documents and work files are easy enough to do, but is there a simple way of transferring programs as well as settings and files?

I've googled the subject and there seems to be bajillions of programs/methods of doing this. I've come to understand that there isn't anything I can do to simply use the same harddrive in the new computer. Reccomendations?

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You could use your existing drive and do a repair install of Windows once you move the hard drive over to the new system. That'll retain all the software and settings.

However the best method is to start over - for both performance and stability. If you don't want to lose your saved game points then most games have a folder with the saves in them, just copy those.

3. bigbear

bigbear

If you build a new system then you will have to reinstall the OS and all your programs, there is no other choice I am afraid.
    If you were just installing a new hard drive in your old pc, you can clone from one drive to another.

4. Flicker

Flicker Thread Starter

I'm planning on buying a new oem copy of windows xp for the new system. If there isn't a way to transfer programs, would xp's built in files and settings transfer wizard be the best way to do it?

5. Flags

Flags

Flicker: You can download a free trial of Acronis True Image or CDclone and use the program to transfer ALL the data on your existing HDD to a new, partitioned, HDD.

You can find these programs with Google. It worked for me. You will have a clone of the existing HDD on the new one. No drivers to find, no programs to install.

6. Flags

Flags

Oh yes, you can use the old HDD in your new system, but you will have to wipe it, reinstall your OS on it. find the drivers etc.

7. Flicker

Flicker Thread Starter

I've heard that if i copy everything over like that i'm asking for stability problems.

Do programs such as that require me to have an OS already on the HD, or will it clone windows and all of the settings to? And if it clones the registry onto my new machine, won't it spazz out because everything's different? Or would I clone it onto the HD after i've installed hardware drivers and such?

8. Flags

Flags

Flicker: I can't respond to the question of stability, because I only just did the Acronis clone job a couple of days ago.

You can get CD Clone here: http://www.download.com/Easy-CD-Clone/3000-2242_4-10323118.html

Google Acronis True Image for a download site.

Both programs have instructions for their use although CD Clone is somewhat limited, not so with Acronis.

I am assuming that you are building a new system and will have a new raw HDD in it.
    Using one of these programs will save you the cost of XP OEM--assuming you have XP on the old system.

9. bigbear

bigbear

If you are installing a new copy of windows you will still have to reinstall your programs.( registry issues)
    Cloning only works within the same pc,
    If you want to swap a hard drive from one pc to another, there is a workaround and it but only seems to work with ata drives not sata.

10. Flags

Flags

You're right BigBear, I forgot about that. Thanks for getting it straight for Flicker.

11. Flicker

Flicker Thread Starter

so it looks like i'm going to have to install all of my programs on the new system nearly any way i look at it.

which leaves simple file transfer...is the quickest way to do that going to be to use a serial connection between the new and old system, temporarily putting the old HD in the new system (with the new HD and OS) and transferring that way, or what?

12. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Thats not true. I've moved installation from PATA to SATA and vice versa, in most cases a repair install of Windows will get the system booting Windows again. Do I recommend it, no...but sometimes there's no way around it.

13. bigbear

bigbear

Triple6
    It would be nice if you clarified which part of my post it not true as there are three answers.
    If you are refering to taking a boot drive from one pc and transfering it to another pc, I understood it only works for ATA drives ( according to crdriver)
    I have never tried it with sata drives, but then we are all here to learn

14. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The part about it not working with SATA drives.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/540027

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice