1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

fastest OCR software?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by redcivic, Oct 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. redcivic

redcivic Thread Starter

I scan hundreds of copies of police reports each day. One .tif file may contain a hundred police reports. I tried the OCR software that came with pagis (textbridge I think) and it takes way too long to recognize. Is there another way I can search a .tif for chracters that has a hundred or so pages?

2. slipe

slipe

OmniPage Pro 12 is the fastest. By how much I don’t know. This is a good deal: http://www.scantips.com/scansoft.html The program is $600 and the upgrade is exactly the same thing. It is an upgrade to ANY OCR program and not just OmniPage.

3. redcivic

redcivic Thread Starter

$600.00? I see it for $99.00, am I missing something? What about scanning them as PDF's? Does that take longer? Would I need to buy the full version of adobe?

4. slipe

slipe

The full program is $600. The upgrade is $99. I was pointing out that they are exactly the same and the upgrade will install with any OCR on your computer of any brand. OmniPage has full PDF capability.

It will convert a PDF file directly – I don’t think it even does OCR unless the PDF file is an image rather than text. It should be much faster since it doesn’t have to go through OCR for each character. You occasionally get a PDF text document that is just a picture of the text, but that is uncommon. You don’t need the full Acrobat unless you want to take a normal document and make it PDF.

5. redcivic

redcivic Thread Starter

Thanks.

6. Fredledingue

Fredledingue

I thought Omnipage was rather slow, but I don't have the pro version, I think.
    Anyway, that's the most reliable OCR on Earth.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/171761

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice