1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Fastest type of high speed connection?

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Holly3278, Sep 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Holly3278

Holly3278 Thread Starter

Hi. I am trying to figure out what kind of high speed connection would be the fastest. Would it be DSL, Broadband, Cable, or some other kind of connection? Preferably, I will definitely want it to be fast for downloading web pages and also for downloading any kind of file. Your advice will be appreciated. Thanks!

2. RSM123

RSM123

3. Holly3278

Holly3278 Thread Starter

Ok. Thanks for the links.

4. putasolution

putasolution

Broadband is the generic name for High speed internet Access of which cable and DSL are two types. Whether you get cable or DSL depends very much on the ISPs operating in your area.

5. $teve

$teve

satellite is the fastest and most expensive.
    for on-line gaming its useless though.

6. KeithKman

KeithKman

I played on an OC-48 server for Counter-Strike once. It was so awesome.

7. BillC

BillC

Actually I think a lot depends on the ISP's available in your area. Here in Atlanta, the cable providers are faster than DSL in most cases. Comcast is providing about 1.8mbps but are now "testing increasing it by 50% to 100%. When tested, I'm getting speeds of 2.4mbps to 3.0mbps depending on how and where I do the test.

I think all this "testing" is a grand marketing scheme to get users used to the speed and for a modest increase of $xx after the test peroid we will be able to keep the faster connection. As they say, stay tuned.

I think cable is the fastest for the price range. What I really want is one of those OC lines Richard posted! :D

8. Piringa

Piringa

Yeah, Hey guys so how come some isp's offer higher speeds than others? My friend in new york has a cable connection and it only goes up to 765kbbp or something while I have dsl in california with verizon and I get 1.3 mbbps. It used to be 765kbbps but now I get 1.3 mgps and its cheaper I pay 35 a month now.

9. putasolution

putasolution

Depnds on what the ISPs are hawking at a particular time, but also on telephone exchanges, the age of equipment and distance from the exchange

In the UK, they are all trying to sell broadband, but with only two cable operators in limited areas, DSL is dominant. That too though is limited to certain areas because our telephone exchanges aren't up to scratch or you live too far away from an exchange.

In the UK, The ombudsman plays a part too, So if he feels that BT are price fixing, he raps them on the knuckles and tells them to reduce the price

10. KeithKman

KeithKman

many factors. Example: number of people in the area, location, ISP, servers, ect.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/165471

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice