1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Fat 32 and NTFS Conflicts

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by chef11994, Feb 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chef11994

chef11994 Thread Starter

The computer in question is a Compaq that originally had 98 on an unpartitioned drive.
    In my ignorance thinking I could legally load my OEM XP home from my professionally built unit I placed the disk into the drive and do not exactly remember my options but each one I choose was denied with a prompt to accept the option I choose and again cannot remember the wording butwhen XP home starting partitioning I probably should have did a Ctrl+Alt+Del to halt it.
    It created an E: drive and loaded XP Home to the newly created drive. So I now had a choice at boot of windows or XP
    Do not believe all of the strange things that occured in XP are impt to list but it did cause my CD Rom drive to become inoperative, i.e no light no button assessability to open.
    At this point I probably could have choose a much wiser course but I choose to manually shut down because it also denied me assessability to start function.
    This is when I choose the win 98floppy start up thinking I might be able to boot to 98.
    I tried FDISK as well as some other Dos commands because quite frankly the PC had me locked into that floppy. If I removed it and attempted a reboot it asked for the floppy.
    In desperation at the A:> prompt I choose FORMAT C: \s and I will now relay to you exactly what is on the screen for the only prompt I have attempted since was CD E: which was rejected HELP
    Did it format C well it verified to 100% and indicated it formatted to 100%
    Screen now reads
    Checking existing disk format
    Recording current bad clusters
    Complete
    Verifying 8,056M
    Format Complete
    Writing out file allocation table
    Complete
    Calculating Free Space
    Complete
    System transferred
    C
    Volume Label (11 Characters, Enter for None I did
    8,040.28 MB total disk space
    323,584 bytes used by system
    8,039.97 available on disk

4,096 bytes in each allocation unit
    2,058,231 allocation units available on disk
    Volume S/N 231F-1007
    So what must I do now
    [email protected]

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Sounds like time for DBAN to clean the disk totally and start from scratch.

3. chef11994

chef11994 Thread Starter

John:
    Could not agree with you more, and have the restore disk for 98 Compaq but since I have no access to CD drive as yet do not know how to proceed with just floppy support. And being a 70 plus retired chef I am not the sharpest knife in the kitchen.

4. chef11994

chef11994 Thread Starter

Still no access to CD Rom Drive, but did free myself from floppy access. Did a DIR at a D: prompt and here is what screen indicates. Volume in D drive has no label.
    Director of D
    Windows <DIR> 01-04-98 5:13p
    Docume 1 <DIR> 01-04-98 5:21p
    Progra 1 <DIR> 02-04-98 7:04a
    Temp <DIR> 02-04-98 11:08a
    -0- file(s) -0- bytes
    4 dir(s) 19,372.03 MB free

at D prompt

5. Arky

Arky

Rather than try to put everything here, read the Windows Rejuvenated article by Lincoln Spector in the current (March 2005) issue of PCWORLD. It is avaiable online at find.pcworld.com/46290.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/328442

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice