1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

FAT 32 Screw Up?

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by skeetre, Apr 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. skeetre

skeetre Thread Starter

Hello,

Earlier today I ran "Diskeeper Lite" on all three partitions of my Windows 98 PC. Upon reboot two of the three partitions were "gone." The partition that DID reappear was the C:\ drive, the active partition while the two that did not show up were the logical drives. I immediately went into DOS and ran "fdisk." Fdisk showed the C:\ drive as it should be: FAT32 with 20% usage (about 8G) of an about 40G drive. The D:\ drive showed up as the Extended DOS Partition but there was not an option to display the Logical Partitions which was wrong. That is, I think it should have displayed NO drive letter there as the EDP was divided up into two logical drives of equal size. It then should have given me the option to get information on the logical drives. In any event, I went back into fdisk and, thinking that if I simply "reassigned," as it were, the drive letters of the logical partitions I might be in fine shape. Inadvertently, however (isn't that always the way?), I assigned the D:\ drive letter to the entire 30G partition when I should have split it evenly between D:\ and E:\. Rebooting back into Windows I could see the D:\ drive in Explorer but it did not have its original name and I could not access it. That must be because the drive has to be formatted (right?) and that would be...bad. The E:\ drive was still nowhere to be found. Am I resigned to losing most/all data on that (now, one) partition? Please tell me there is a way to get it back.

Thanks for whatever help you can offer.

Brian

2. Dingenium

Dingenium

Sorry. I can't think of anything else that you yourself can do. Sometimes, techs at actual computer stores can hook up another computer, and using a special program (and I don't know the name of it) recover some of the data, if not all of it.

Usually, whenever there is a change in Fdisk, you usually have to do a format on the drive. Sorry.

3. jwbirdsong

jwbirdsong

Until you 'reassigned' the drive letters you may have been able to salvage it by FDISK /MBR which can restore the MBR on drive0..since you have changed the drive around again I have little hope of this doing any thing usefull..but you may save it as a last resort B4 you format it/them

4. skeetre

skeetre Thread Starter

Just a quick (and way overdue!) thanks to all that posted replies to my original request for help. As it turns out, I was unable to recover the data. Oh well...the next time my CD burner dies, I'll remember to replace it right away and get back to doing my backups! Thanks again for the input. Brian

5. brushmaster1

brushmaster1

[tsg=welcome] Welcome to TSG! [/tsg]

Sorry you were unable to recover your data, but welcome to TSG anyway!

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/224813

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice