1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

"Fat Copies not the Same"

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by CalifGuy, Feb 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CalifGuy

CalifGuy Thread Starter

Help

Part 1

I recieved the message "Fat Copies not the Same" using Norton System Works and/or DiscScan. Problems got worse and started getting messages "Cross-linked entries sharing the same space". It asked if I wanted to repair. I said "Yes". Problems got worse with time and at some point the machine stopped printing and I lost use of MS Office. So it's off to the shop to have hard drive wiped clean and '98 re-installed along with assorted software.

Windows 98
    PIII, 1000mhz, 1024 ram
    Asus CUV4X-E MB, 3dfx Voodoo Video
    Western WDC WD200BB Drive (with no partitions)
    DVD drive and Polaroid CD-RW

Office 97
    AOL 7.0 (dial-up)
    Norton System Works
    FileMaker Pro
    McAfee Uninstaller
    and of course
    Nova "Task Force Dagger"

'Puter has worked great for the last few years with board, ram and drive upgrade last year.

Part II

After the reload (start-over) I am now getting the same messages again about FAT files, allocation table errors and cross linked files......Rats

I down-loaded the disc check program from Western Digital and drive test is ok.

I went back to the service center and he claims that its the Norton System Works causing the problems. He claims NSW makes it's own FAT32 and it conflicts with '98 Fat files......duh

He claims I need to again reinstall '98 and all drives, etc and start completely over once again and not use Norton....of course with another bill for the service...LOL

Now, with me being at the bottom of the food chain on 'puter knowledge I need input here.

What could the real problem be.......and why? Hate to have another repeat if it's not Norton causing the problem.

I thank you in advance for any help.

side-bar. Can I remove all of Norton with-out total re-install.

Thanks, Dan

2. Davey7549

Davey7549

Dan
    Welcome to TSG!

Lets use a bit of logic here to detemine what is correct in what you were told.

NWS creates its own FAT Table to compare to 98's table?
    Actually it does not to my knowledge! There are two Fat tables maintained within Windows that are used for error comparison during Scandisk or Norton Disk Doctor.

You have been using this machine for years and I assume NWS for quite awhile to and have not had any problems until recently?
    Might that suggest this event is not related to NWS!

WD Diagnostics is not 100% as is Maxtors so the problem could still be the drive or even a defective chip on the module in slot 0
    since slot 0 ram module is used partially by system functions.

Conclusion.......
    I suspect you have a failing drive or Ram Module.

Can you remove NWS easily?
    Yes go to control panel\add-remove programs and uninstall from there. However I doubt that will correct the problem.

Dave

PS: Maybe others will have input to your dilemma.

3. CalifGuy

CalifGuy Thread Starter

Thanks 4 the input Dave. I too suspect the problem is not NSW related but my knowlege base about such accouterments is petty low. I did a web search for related problems with FAT vs. Norton and found no info. Appears to be less trouble to replace the various moving parts than to keep reloading systems and such, but thought I would ask for some input 1st. Thanks again

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/116452

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice