1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

FAT hard drive unreadable?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by andrewcthomas, Dec 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. andrewcthomas

andrewcthomas Thread Starter

I have recently removed my old FAT hard drive from my original IBM 486 machine and want to install the old files on my new computer. However after getting it set up in the external hard drive case and opening it I only see a few files, such as autoexec, config, command, etc. And the properties tab shows the hard drive is completely full, 513 MB of a 540MB drive. Can I read this old drive using my new Windows 7 operating system or is there some other utility I need to get? I have tried changing the file folder options to show hidden files and that has not worked. I did backup the volume onto my computer and it transferred the entire 513 MB....Kind of strange I just want to see the files and be able to use them. Thanks

2. Hughv

Hughv

What was the OS?
    Open a command prompt and navigate to this drive.
    "dir" to see the files.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/971667

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice