1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

FAT32 File System 4GB file size limit.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by willmon21, Apr 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. willmon21

willmon21 Thread Starter

Is there any way to patch the file system to make it be able to support having files larger than 4GBs? Because I have a usb hard drive in which I have formated in FAT32 so I can plug it into my Playstation 3 so I can listen to music and watch movies. And there is some files I would like to put on it that are over 4GBs. I have heard of patching FAT32 to allow files over 4GBs on the file system but I haven't seen anywhere to get this patch. So I thought I would post here to see if anyone had any idea to get around this issue without reformating or changing the format of the drive.

2. Jack Hackett

Jack Hackett

How about partitioning the drive, one partion with FAT32 the other with NTFS ;)

3. willmon21

willmon21 Thread Starter

Then what exactly will the PS3 do when I plug it in? Read the FAT32 partition and ignore the NTFS partition?

4. Compiler

Compiler

Unless the PS3 can read NTFS... it will ignore it.

FAT32 is a standard... there are no patches for that... otherwise, it wouldn't be FAT32 compatible.

I don't have a PS3, but doesn't the PS3 format discs in another format besides FAT32? Of course that might make it unreadable for a Windows Desktop.

5. willmon21

willmon21 Thread Starter

Yes, and I need it for both the PS3 and the computer otherwise I would not be able to keep putting more stuff on it for the PS3 to look at. I just wish they would make an update for the PS3 to support NTFS as it is a good file system that allows you to have files over 4GBs.

6. Courtneyc

Courtneyc

PS3 format does support 4GB+ files, it just doesn't support NTFS which is a MICROSOFT (read COMPEDITOR's format).
    Note that the PS3 can read shared folders off of a networked computer, regardless of the size.

Courtney

7. Compiler

Compiler

Its not a matter of an "update". NTFS is a Microsoft format. "NT FileSystem" as in WindowsNT which is what XP, vista and Win7 are. So talk to Microsoft, but they're not out to give favors to SONY.

FAT32 is also licensed my Microsoft. It is a "standard" so that digital cameras, cams, mp3 players, etc can share data.

PS (added): My reply was made much later after reading the last post as I left for a few hours. Oh well.

8. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

ExFat is a newer 64bit system that is beginning to be used on external drives. It was designed with the larger USB stick in mind.
    The maximum file sizes at 16777216 TB are larger than you could ever need.
    I believe (but don't quote me) that there are utilities available for PS3s.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/919767

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice