1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

FAT32? Linux ext2? Linux Ext3?

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by ALKERguitar, Oct 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ALKERguitar

ALKERguitar Thread Starter

Aaahhhhhh, what do I do? I want to format a partition on my hard drive, because I'm not going to get my second hard drive for a while.. this'll just be temp. I have Redhat Linux, and I was wondering how to format this partition. My choices are:
    FAT32
    NTFS
    Linux Ext2
    Linux Ext3
    BTW, I'm using PartitionMagic.
    Thank you,
    ~Alker

2. codejockey

codejockey

If you intend t use the partition for Linux, you should choose ext2 or ext3 (there are other choices as well, but they do not appear in your list, so I assume that Partition Magic does not know about them). Of the choices you listed, I recommend ext3 (a journaling file system). You can also use ext2 (a non-journaling file system).

Hope this helps.

3. ALKERguitar

ALKERguitar Thread Starter

Sure does, thank you very much.
    Peace
    ~Alker

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/171545

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice