1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

FAT32 or NTFS

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Ryan Sanders, Feb 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ryan Sanders

Ryan Sanders Thread Starter

Ok. I installed WinXP myself and wasn't sure if I would stay with XP or go back. I knew that once you changed from FAT32, you can't go back. I think I will most likely stay here and I am wandering what are the benefits of going to NTFS and how long does it take to change over.

Thanks

2. terryxp

terryxp

Not certain, but you can change from FAT to NTFS anytime you wish... and vice-versa. I know I did, at one point in time. NTFS is a more "secure" file system intended for servers etc... I would think for the average pc user, fat32 is a-okay... wait for another egghead to add his 2bits, I may be wrong.

3. Del

Del

If you're not sure if you're going to stay with XP, I would stay with FAT32 for now..

4. Jtoast

Jtoast

unless you need the extra security or are planning to work with files over 4G in size (video editing maybe?) then Fat32 will work just fine and will also make it easier to repair (98 boot disk :) if you run into a problem.

5. Ryan Sanders

Ryan Sanders Thread Starter

KK.. Thanks for your input.

6. Tushman

Tushman Banned

Like others have mentioned NTFS offers more security, but if you are using in conjuction with an NT based OS, then it will offer not only more security but more stablility as well. Once other nice thing about NTFS is that UNLIKE FAT32, regardless of the size of your partitions (under NTFS) your cluster size remains the same.

7. Luthorcrow

Luthorcrow

by Jtoast
    That is one point to consider that wasn't mentioned when I posted a similar question a while back (upgrade to Wk2). Consider that every hour of capture video will initial occupy a single file around 13gbs then for that purpose NTFS is required. But a single partion for this purpose would be enough.

Also, I actually did a clean install with both and ran benchmarks to track the difference. Here were my results:

http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=105879

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You can go from ntfs to fat32 without destroying data; however you will need Partition Magic to do that. Ntfs is the native file system for nt based os; it is more fault tolerant than fat32. I use both file systems on different computers and really the only advantage [if you do not need the increased security afforded by ntfs] is that ntfs is not as prone to fragmentation as fat32.
    In addition if you are using large files and or large hd [>32 gig] it would be better and easier to use ntfs. Windows cannot format a volume larger than 32 gigs as fat32. You can use a volume larger than 32 gig as fat32 as long as you use something other than windows xp / 2k to format it; such as PM or win9x boot disk.

9. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

FWIW, I've pretty much settled on FAT32 for my partitions. I haven't generated any huge files, and the only program that I use that might is GHOST, and it chops them up into 2gig segments automagically. :) I also like FAT for the ease of fixing things with a DOS boot. All my main systems have a dual boot to Windows or MS-DOS, makes it easy to tinker without grabbing for floppies. :D

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118875

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice