1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

fat32 to ntfs problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by LoriCat45, Jul 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LoriCat45

LoriCat45 Thread Starter

i had a problem with my computer and when i used my quick restore cd rom to return my computer to like new... it backed up all on a virtual drive(D:)but D: recovery is Fat32
    my C: drive is ntfs how do i convert my D drive to ntfs so i can recover some of my files and programs back on my C: drive?
    i also keep getting" not enough room on D:recovery "balloon
    please help me

2. Body&Spirit

Body&Spirit

Is D drive a different drive or a partition of C?

3. masterjim

masterjim

Go to Start,Run,type "cmd.exe" to get a DOS prompt,then type " d: /fs:ntfs
    This will convert FAT32 to NTFS.

4. LoriCat45

LoriCat45 Thread Starter

body and spirit .... d is a virtual drive i believe a part of c
    masterjim .........i tried that but the dos prompt i get is C:\documents and settings\owner>_

5. Body&Spirit

Body&Spirit

I am not familiar with the "quick restore CD ROM" what is it? Is it part of the Windows CD?

6. LoriCat45

LoriCat45 Thread Starter

a quick restore cd is one that comes with the computer and restores everything that was on your comp when you bought it including all programs like widows xp , MS works , internet explorer, free trial of aol etc.

7. Body&Spirit

Body&Spirit

Does it just restore the settings?

Or does it put everything back the way it was including deleting new material like programs files etc.

8. LoriCat45

LoriCat45 Thread Starter

yes it does put everything the way it was including deleting new material like program files, but it backed it up on "d:recovery"in fat 32 so i can't read or restore any of what was on my comp before i ran the quick restore disc.because my computer's c: drive is ntfs.

9. Body&Spirit

Body&Spirit

Interesting.

I use Ghost myself and can either restore my computer to the restoration point I select or can select individual files to restore.

Can you restore individual files? That is can you select files from your fat drive to your nfts drive

10. LoriCat45

LoriCat45 Thread Starter

no i cant i cant even read them because they're in fat 32 and my os is in ntfs

11. Body&Spirit

Body&Spirit

I thought you wouldn't be able to.

Are any of the files in fat32 important to you?

12. masterjim

masterjim

External hard drives are generally FAT32 and my computer reads them. When you boot up there is an option to go to the D: drive for recovery,at least on my HP desktop. My Acer laptop
    has a Phoenix recovery system. I use external hard drives on both computers for backup. You should always backup on CD/DVD,external drive,floppies,zip,or flash drives before recovery,fomatting or even system restore.

13. Body&Spirit

Body&Spirit

Don't think it is the same thing. She has FAT32 and NTFS on the "same" drive.

How that could happen is beyond me...

I think we are missing something here...

14. masterjim

masterjim

I have the same thing on my HP desktop. My Acer laptop had FAT32 on both c & d. I converted the c drive to NTFS.

15. Body&Spirit

Body&Spirit

Still not the same thing. Do you have both NTFS files and FAT32 files on your C drive?

It is common knowledge that a computer can read both NTFS and FAT32 provided they are on different drives.

For example, even though your floppy can "only" be FAT32, and your hard drive can be NTFS, your computer has no problem reading either one of them.

I don't know what to make of LORICAT45's problem.

My suspicion is that her hard drive is all NFTS, and the files were attempted to be written in FAT32 which would of couse make them unreadable. That is if such a thing were possible.

Since she cannot recover any files, I think the only solution is to try to delete her recovery files and hope that will solve the problem.

ADDENDUM

The computer has no problem also reading NFTS or FAT32 files on the same drive providing they are in different partitions.

What I am wondering is if the files were written in FAT32 format to a drive formatted iNTFS, thus making them unreadable. And LORICAT45 says she cannot read them.

Yet, I can't help but think there must be a simpler explanation.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/590717

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice