FAT32 to NTFS - Windows XP Home Edition

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

drag2f2f

I want to convert my two hard disks on my laptop to NTFS for the obvious benefits. I found this page on the microsoft website
HTML:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307881
I just don't know where to find the volume labels of the drives. Can anyone help? Thanks in advance.
Anthony

Windows management console. Go to start > run and enter cmd and enter. At the command prompt enter "convert C: (or whatever drive letter you want) /FS:NTFS"

Back up all important data you don't want to lose in case it goes awry.

drag2f2f

After that it says this

3. When you receive the following message at the command prompt, type the volume label of the drive that you are converting, and then press ENTER:
The type of the file system is FAT.
Enter the current volume label for drive drive letter

I believe, by reading this, that I need to know the volume label and I have no idea where to find it. Is this untrue, is it as simple as your instructions?

What is likely to go wrong and will it be obvious, i.e. will if there is no error message can I be certain that it went ok.

drag2f2f

Anyone know if that step is valid or is it as simple as Rockn says.

i have used this 2 times once on D drive and once on C drive no problems reported.
C drive need reboot and will do it,it may take 1/2 hour or so and you will see screen with many files flashing by.

drag2f2f

My drives are labeled as C and D. I think I'll have a go in a bit and report back if there are any issues. Thanks for the help.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I suggest that you backup before you do the conversion, that will insure nothing goes wrong. :)

label [Drive:][label]
if you open my computer look at D drive you should see D(D:) where the first D is the label

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online